image restore problem with TI_v8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gertrud, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gertrud

gertrud Registered Member

still have the v8 version.

After few succesfull image restorations on my main PC I tried to restore that image on another PC with a smaller Harddrive. The image was originally made for 15 GB c:\ partition from a 60 GB Harddrive.
    On the older PC there is only a c:\ partition of 4 GB, but the image itself is only about 500 MB so it should be no problem to place the data on the smaller HD partition.

During the restoration process the programm asked, if I want to resize the partition (I selected yes, because otherwise I had no chance to select a destination partition).

But unfortunately after restoration the OS (windows2000 SP4) started but the windows screen did not appear; instead got the message

"xxx STOP: 0x00.....
    inacessible boot device ...,
    make a virus check ...
    remove all hard drives ..."

removed the CD with the image and restarted but the same result.

What did I wrong ? I found no hint in the FAQ or in the manual, that the partitions must be identical in size.

So what can I do ?
    Fortunately enough I tried the procedure on a PC, where I cannot loose much data on the other partitions.

At the end the question arise, if it is worth updating to v10 ? Form a first web-search I got the impression that there aren't so much important new features.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

If you try to restore an image to a different system, you have to jump through a few hoops before it will work. I've never had to do so myself, but there are many messages in the forum explaining what to do. What build number of version 8 are you using?

3. gertrud

Ralphie,

I use v 8.0 build 791.

What "hoops" do you mean ? Tried a search in the forum but probably used not the right words. Will try again. Perhaps you have a few more hints.

Meanwhile I thought, that TI is not the right tool for that ? Could it be that a HDclone tool is better suited for the purpose of transfering the OS from one HD to another (though I believed that image creation is like cloning) ?

4. Ralphie

You should get at least the latest build of ver 8, which is 937. But anyway, search for sysprep to find the necessary steps for restoring to a different computer.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

gertrud,

As Ralphie says, sysprep is the keyword to search for (and the tool to use). But you will probably learn from those threads that it's still an approach that will hardly yield a stable computer. That's why Acronis developed the Universal Restore add on, which unfortunately is only available for Corporate editions of True Image.

I'm afraid you will need to install Windows and application programs from scratch on the second computer to make it work properly, but you will be able to transfer data files by later Mounting the image.

6. gertrud

Yes, I learned excatly this, what means that TI v8 Home is only the first step on the way to a system can be easily reconstructed.
    If I understand all the forum contributions regarding sysprep / universal restore right, than one the problems are the different drivers between the different harddrives.

If this is true, that it reduces the benefit of TI 8 Home considerably, because it is limited to a OS crash. When I came to TI 8 over a year ago I had 2 HD crashes behind me. After those crashes I bought 2 new HD and paid not attention to the HD manufacturer or things like that.

From the Forum I got the impression (and your contribution seems to proof that), that in this cases an existing image from TI-8 Home is nearly useless.

So there is actually no way round to buy the universal restore version, as it is impossible in case of a physical HD crash to obtain excatly the same HD again.

During the search i noticed, that there is also a tool "Migrate easy". Is this an
    option to buy instead of Universal Restore (together with the TI enterprise version) ?

Are there things to consider if I buy Universal Restore (that means hidden requirements or similar things) ? We still use windows2000 and are quite satisfied with this. the only thing we added are the net. plattform (both 1.1. and 2)

7. Ralphie

I can only address part of your concerns. The brand of hard drive does not matter. If your hard drive crashes, you can restore your backup image to just about any brand of hard drive in the same computer.

I've never used Migrate Easy nor Universal Restore. These are to be used when Recovering an image to a different computer.

8. gertrud

My question may sound stupid, but what determines the state of "the same" or "different" ?

It is determined by the mainboard or what else (if not by the HD as you write) ? Seems of interest to see, what parts of an PC can be changed / renewed after a while without sacrifying the "same PC" status.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.