Image restoration results in XP Pro’s incomplete boot to Windows.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 'G', Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 'G'

'G' Registered Member

I used the latest rescue diskettes for TI V7, as TI V8’s rescue diskettes are not recreated for some reason.

Regardless an image was taken of his C volume. Every necessary preventative measure against possible disaster was taken, e.g., virus, spyware, scumware and malware check, all unnecessary junk (a considerable amount as this would have an impact on the image size) was removed, Diskeeper V9 online, and offline defrag. All this went well as system boot was ok.

Therefore, I booted using TI V7+ rescue diskettes and created an image and this was successful.

In restoring the image it was also successful but on booting the active C volume it remains part way through the XP Pro boot process with the HDD light permanently on with occasional HDD activity. After an hour still the same symptoms.

Does anyone know how to rectify this as a friend is very unhappy, his blames me even though I spent14 hours flat sorting his system with this and that meticulously. I told him where to go but I would like to know the solution because it is not my manner to leave someone in difficulties or to have a problem unresolved. If he was more patient I would have been able to figure it out. However, no longer have the computer so any troubleshooting is no longer possible.

Regards,
    G

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  2. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

Boot with the XP CD and choose the Recovery Console option. Then type:

fixmbr

This simple procedure solves this problem most of the time. Now, what corrupted the MBR is another story. If you are unable to install TI8 and create bootable media, I think you have other issues at work with your system.

3. 'G'

'G' Registered Member

Mr

Thought as much but I wasn’t sure if the master partition table being damaged trying the fixmbr fix would result in the lose of the volumes etc. I should not have been though otherwise I would not have almost booted up in to WinXP but I had been working on it for 20+ hours straight and was too tired to guess.

That is the fix but my ungrateful mate was annoyed it was not done, threatened me (yeah right) so I told he to pick his comp up as it was and f-off.

Have not spoken to him since.

He even told his wife that if she has anything to do with my gf and me their 2-year marriage would be over. What a merchant banker.

Even now he asks her where she is going and who will be there.

A real anorak. Got all the proper pilot crap, e.g. suit, and then pretends his a pilot. Never flown before. What a plant pot.

Thanks for the confirmation though.

No, TI works ok on ATA comps but on my SCSI system it will not work. The same goes for Director Suite. I get the BSOD for both. TI gets almost there, within Windows, before the BSOD, but DS takes a second to start up before it gives me the BSOD.

The funny thing is I can create and restore an image on my system using the rescue floppy diskettes of TI V7 but not for V8 – go figure.

The only reservation I have in recommending TI is the lack of driver support. This will improve in time but this is one reason there are problems with it.

My specs:

Case & PSU:
    1. Lian-Li PC-70,
    2. Antec TRUECONTROL 550PGB, Mfr #: 761345-07556-5
    3. 4*Antec case fans 80mm 3 & 4 Pin, Mfr part #: 80MM 3PIN BB FAN
    4. 3*Antec Power Y x2 Cable, Mfr part #: Y CABLES

Motherboard etc:
    1. Abit AB-IC7-G
    2. Pentium 4 3.2GHz FSB 800MHz Prescott 1MB Cache (Retail)
    3. Zalman Flower CNPS7700-Cu 'Silent' CPU Cooler
    4. Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3g) (OA-001-AC)
    5. Crucial 512MB (total 2GB), 184-pin DIMM, Mfr #: CT6472Z40B

Sound:
    1. Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum eX (plus external box), Mfr part # 70SB028000004
    2. Creative Inspire 6.1 6700, Mfr part # 51000000AA292

Graphics:
    1. Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB Ultimate

Monitor:
    1. Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB, Mfr part #: 60000770

Internal Devices:
    2. 5*Maxtor Atlas 10K IV 36GB SCSI 8MB cache HDDs, Model #: 8B036L0 (68-pin)
    3. Logic LSI22320-R 64-bit PCI-X Ultra320 SCSI Dual Channel HBA
    4. Teac 16xDVD 48xCD Int IDE OEM, Mfr code: DV-516E-002
    5. 2*NEC DVD +/- DVD RW IDE Internal Drive (OEM), Mfr part #: ND-3520A
    6. Teac FDD, Mfr part #: FD-235
    7. 2*Adaptec rounded SCSI cables (terminated, top of their range rounded cables)
    8. 2*Akasa braided rounded IDE cables
    9. 1 Akasa braided floppy IDE cable

Peripherals:
    1. Logitech Internet Navigator, Mfr code: 967233-0120
    2. Logitech MX1000
    3. Canon iP5000
    4. Canon 3200 Scanner

Networking:
    1. SpeedTouch 580 ADSL Wireless Multi-User Gateway
    2. SpeedTouch 120G Wireless USB Adapter

Already Have:
    1. HP 6L (7 years old and still going strong)
    2. Powerware 5125 (new and free :))

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Mr

Hello 'G',

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

If I got you right you problem now is that you can't work with both Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director on the computer which has SCSI disk.

Could you please do the following :

- Open Computer properties either by right clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Properties or by opening System properties in Control Panel;
    - Go to Advanced tab;
    - Press Startup and Recover Settings button;
    - Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Then please reproduce the system crash and send the mini-dumps created to support@acronis.com along with the description of the situation. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. 'G'

'G' Registered Member

Mr

Thanks Ilya for replying to my thread via my email message to you.

Ok, I will set these setting up and send the reports for each program to you in the next day or two.

Regards,
    Gavin

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Mr

Hello Gavin,

If you don't get a response within 48 hours please send me a PM with your Acronis request # which will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.