Image over network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Peter_41, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_41

Peter_41 Registered Member

This is similar to other threads in which users have difficulty in imaging files to a second computer that has more free space, but I receive the specific error message:

The file name, location or format "\\Rover\Acrohold\MyBackup.tib" is not valid. Please type the file name or location in the correct format.

I am working off-line and so have fewer worries about sharing, and have tried it with an entire partition, with the same result. (Rover is the name of the second computer.)

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Maybe check the system logs of the remote system to determine the problem? (authentication error, etc..)

I image to a remote machine running Samba, and it works fine. For some reason, I've experienced different results entering the machine name directly vs. using a mapped drive letter. One or the other should work. Usually the problem is with the supplied username/password.

3. orgdoctor

orgdoctor Registered Member

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to backup my laptop drive to my
    desktop in preparation to replace the laptop hard drive. The name of my desktop computer on my LAN appears in TI destination selection selection as
    "Jeff's computer (Fastjeff)". When I use Fastjeff as the computer designation, I get the error message Peter 41 referred to. When I change it to "Jeff's computer" the pointer immediately jumps to My Computer on the local machine, where I do NOT want the image file copied to. So I'm left completely without any way of creating a disk image over the network to my
    desktop. Norton Ghost 9 also hangs at "initializing" when I try to do this task.
    Can anyone suggest a solution?

4. Jelorian

Jelorian Registered Member

The only way I've got this to work was to create a LOCAL user on the 2nd machine. Then I created a directory on the 2nd machine and shared it giving the LOCAL user Full Control.

The target system is running XP Pro SP2. This method did NOT work when trying to dump to a XP 2003 Server.

Good luck.

Jel

5. orgdoctor

orgdoctor Registered Member

I found a workaround. On the source computer I created a shortcut listing of the entire drive on the destination computer holding the folder where I wanted the image saved. I did this on my source computer (i.e., the laptop)by expanding the shared drive listing for the destination computer under My Network Places - Microsoft Windows Network - MyNetwork - MyComputer in Windows Explorer. I then clicked and dragged the target drive to My Network Places, which resulted in a "Shortcut to drive j on MyComputer" entry to be added under My Network Places. When I then clicked on this shortcut in the TI dialog, it expanded to list all the folders in that drive. I selected the folder I wanted, added the new file name for the image, and proceeded. It worked perfectly.

Apparently there is some bug in TI which is preventing it from utilizing the computer listing under Microsoft Windows Network as the destination.

6. Peter_41

Peter_41 Registered Member

I haven't had a chance to work with it too much yet, but for others with the same problem one discovery I made is that the destination folder and partition were (initially) Read Only, which l presume is not desirable when you are trying to write to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.