Image on DVD - not finalized

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bVolk, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi everybody,

When I started to periodically copy selected images from the second internal disk, where they first reside, to DVD+R (as an additional safety measure) I was not aware that the DVDs should be closed (finalized). I went the default Roxio Easy Media Creator Basic way, which makes the disk appendable.

Lately, I learned from this forum that the rescue TI environement requires DVDs to be finalized. I checked the archives stored on my appendable DVDs from rescue environement and they pass. Also went through the Recovery Wizard all the way down to Proceed, again without any error showing up. But I didn't carry out the restore proper, since these images are rather old and I have no spare hard disk for experimentation.

On one of these appendable DVDs I now performed the "add files" routine, importing existing image files without really adding any, but this time selecting the option to close the disk when burning again. Seems to work, athough no difference is to be observed when I overview the image from rescue environment. Or from Windows Explorer, for that matter.

My question is: should I perform this closing (finalizing) in the above described way, or am I in danger of ruining my milestone images?

With all the confusion about various DVD burning techniques and without any experience from music or video, I'm plain uncertain.

Thanks.

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

OK, maybe I should reformulate my question. So:

Regarding the finalization question only, is there any way to verify the ability of my DVDs to perform, short of carrying out a real restore from the rescue environment?

Any more luck now?

Thanks.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I couldn't take your anguish any longer so I did a test.

Made image of C within XP to second HD and verified.

Burned image to DVD-R (don't have any +R) with Nero. Multi-session selected which doesn't close DVD and it can have data added to it later.

Booted standalone CD version of TI 9 Build 2337.
    Put DVD with backup on it in drive after TI started.
    Selected Restore. Name of backup didn't appear but icons did under DVD name in left panel. Clicking on icon showed filename and relevant data in right panels.

Did Verify before restoring (safe way, since it won't delete anything if it doesn't verify) and check file system after restoring.

Worked just fine.

When you try to burn a multi-session DVD with Nero it warns you that you may not be able to read the second session unless you are using XP. It could be this is the problem mentioned and it is just fine if you only have one session.

I would leave your DVDs as they are. If you have a problem based on your closing test you know what you can try to fix the DVDs if they don't work.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

You are a pal, seekforever,

Thank you for doing the test.

I get those nameless (but responsive) icons too. The warning Nero puts up is certainly something to be remembered. Roxio desn't warn. So, planning to restore the images in Linux, we should avoid adding sessions to make full use of every DVD.

I'll follow your advice, thanks again.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You're welcome. I thought it might be a good thing to know especially when dealing with backups.

The Nero warning box had one of those "Don't show this message again" tick boxes so maybe Roxio did pop it up a long time ago and it got ticked.

I do remember using Roxio burning software a while back in Win98 days and the deluxe product had a command that allowed you to select which session on a multi-session CD as being the active one.

I may be overly paranoid but I always tried to keep my CD/DVD burning very simple. Once I burn the disk I usually consider it done which means I can't screw up what I have with another burn. I don't use packet writing and I only use RW media for TV programs that I have captured on my PC and am going to play in the living room or for quicky experiments that may result in a useless disk. I know a lot of people will say they don't do what I do and have no trouble and that is good.

I always use the burning software's verify option when burning a data disk. Menorcaman's suggestion of burning at half speed is a good one too.

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I learned Menorcaman's lesson the hard way too.

Actually, it was with CDs, when I didn't have a DVD burner yet. Endless surface testing, piles of coasters, all available brands looked into.

But I didn't have any grandpa duties at that time :)

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.