Image of "Docs & Settings" are write protected!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tr8der, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tr8der

tr8der Registered Member

Hi-

I'm trying to grab a few files that are in an image. They are in My documents and I'm being told that I don't have access to them that the disk is write protected and that I need to remove the write protection.

I haven't been able to find how to remove the write protection anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Thank you. Gordon

2. GeeeAus

GeeeAus Registered Member

Hi Gordon

The issue pertains to Acronis preserving the original permissions on the files in the "Documents & Setting" folder and its child objects.

What you need to do is restore the whole image to a hard drive and then take ownership of it in Windows. Then you can create the image again and it will not have issues with you extracting data from it as another user.

Bear in mind that Windows XP Home users who select "Make The Folder Private" in the folders properties box

OR

XP Home users who choose to make their files private when they setup their user account for the first time are also affected by this issue.

Folders that are encrypted need to have the encryption removed before cloning if they are to be readable with the image mounted as a drive in another host install of Windows.

Resorting the image completely, booting it and logging in as the appropriate user also allows access to such files and folders.

Clear as mud.....?

GeeeAus
    .au

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.