Image file size

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dgee, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgee

dgee Registered Member

Hi.
    I'm a new (trial) user and have made (I think) an image file of the whole of my c drive (about 14MB) on an external HDD. But the image file is onle about 4MB. Is that correct or have I made a partial image. I intended to save a complete copy of my system in case of a systment crash (eg when I install SP2). Can anyone tell me if the file size sounds about right, and how I check that it is complete?
    Thanks.
    David

2. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

The image is compressed. The .tib file (unless you choose NO compression) will always be smaller than the actual size of the partition imaged.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, dgee

Are you sure it is 14MB and not 14GB? because that size would be impossible to be right for a OS [WindowsXP, as you talk about SP2] even without any drivers, software programs or data added.

If you do mean 14GB? and you used the highest compression, then 4GB for the Image might be about right. [I have not made an Image from that size of data so I can not be sure myself]

Have you checked the Image?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. dgee

dgee Registered Member

Hi, and thanks for your help.
    Yes, I was talking GB and not MB! :doubt:
    But the C drive I was imaging is 14GB, and the resulting image file is 4GB (first image) and 3GB (second image). And I haven't selected anything other than default settings. So I'm still not sure if this could be correct, or I am missing something?
    Thanks again.
    David

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, dgee

Why two Images, did you split one?

If so 7GB would be about the right size for the default setting.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. dgee

dgee Registered Member

Hi
    No, I didn't intend to! I think it's a second attempt to make an image. Maybe I'll just start again and see how I get on this time. I appreciate your help.
    David

7. dgee

dgee Registered Member

I think (hope) I've worked it out now: there's a message that says TruImage will split files into 4GB chunks when using the FAT filing system (which I guess I must be). So my Image is now split over three files (2x4GB and one 1GB). So I guess that with normal compression that sounds about right.
    Thanks again for your help!
    David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.