Image editors/converters

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I need a prog to convert .gif images to .bmp, so I can edit them in paint, OR I need to find a new paint-like program to edit some .gif files, does anyone know of any free programs that can do one of these 2 things?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

IrfanView is an excellent program for image conversions.

I do pixel level graphic edits solely in MS Paint. But, MS Paint is terrible at rendering anything but 24-bit BMP files, so I work in BMP format and use IrfanView to convert images in and out of BMP format.

Give it a try. It's a great free program.

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Thanks LowWaterMark, I'll try it.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Another one you could take a look at is Graphics Workshop Pro, which I've used for years. While technically it's free-trial shareware, it's fully functional and they're very liberal about letting you decide for yourself how long is a reasonable evaluation period provided you don't get carried away distributing things you've done with it.

Its main strengths are format conversion (it'll handle just about any graphics format I ever heard of plus several more), cropping/resizing, and filters of all kinds. It's not inherently designed for pixel work, but you can do that too -- in that case, it creates a temporary BMP copy and calls up Paint (or whatever you use in place of Paint) for editing of that, then saves the result back to whatever format you started with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.