Image direct on DVD+RW size question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mariner2, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mariner2

Mariner2 Registered Member

I made an image of a 9,... gb partition using TI8 . During the making I noted on the screen that the 9,....gb partition was compressed (normal compression) to 5,... gb and it would take 2 dvd's. ( 4,7 gb each)
    After the creation of the image I was surprised that the whole lot was on 1 dvd only.
    With other prgrams I checked that the size of the partition was 9,... gb
    My question is : Is the size of the compression correctly shown in the program and if so then how can it be burned on 1 dvd only?
    Or did the size include the page files and others which will not be imaged?
    mariner2

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Mariner2

Firstly, the compressed size shown in the Create Image Wizard is only an approximation. The actual image size depends on how well the data on your HD will compress (e.g. media files such as jpg, mp3 and avi will not compress much as they are already heavily compressed).

Secondly, a TI 8 image doesn't include the Page File and Hibernate File, although it will include small "placeholder" files in their place.

Thirdly, how much of your 9GB partition does the Create Image Wizard show as Used Space? Whilst TI carries out "sector" based imaging, I now know (thank you Andrew!!) that it only images the sectors that are actually in use.

As an example, I have an active partition "C:" which doesn't include the Windows page file as that's located on a separate partition. The Create Image Wizard shows the size of my C: partition as 73.49GB of which 5.89GB is used space. With "Normal" compression selected, TI calculates the image size as 3.524GB with the resultant image coming out at 3.43GB. I have quite a number of jpg files therefore, in this case, the calculated size and actual size aren't that much different.

Hope the above makes sense.

Regards

3. Mariner2

Mariner2 Registered Member

Thx menorcaman,
    first my 9,.. gb is actual used space of a 35 gb partition.
    So I think that the wizard shows the space which includes the page files, but when actually imaging these page files are excluded and so all can be burned on one 4,7 gb dvd.
    Second that partition does not have any media/picture files on it, well maybe a few in My Documents.
    Well I think I am satisfied now, because at first I was a little worried that the imaging done was not a complete image of my partititon.
    mariner 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.