image creation has failed - bad media quality?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nhr2000, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhr2000

nhr2000 Registered Member

Using True Image 7.0 build 638. Continually unable to create images under Windows 2000. Messages in log: failed to write data to image archive file. A possible reason may be poor media quality. Operation with partition 'D" was terminated with code 4 "write error." Image creation has failed. Have tried using multiple CDRs with the same result?

Is there a certain type of CDR that would work best? Do I need CDRWs? Why was I able to create a bootable disk but not able to do a image? I'm trying to image one partition of a PC that has three partitions setup, including the D (data) partition that I'm trying to back up.

Thanks, NHR

2. CAOgdin

CAOgdin Registered Member

This is just another fatal problem with TrueImage (I'm using v8.0). I just made a 6GB image to five CDs, of different manufacturer, FOUR different times.

What's curious to me is that that four log reports show that the failure always occurs on the last CD of the set, and always just as it has written out all the data to that final CD.

Now, if I create the image to another partition, and limit the size to 700 MB, (TI8 nominally records 702 MB), that fifth volume is only about 275 MB long.

Now, convince me that the fifth one of every CD in insert from four different batches is defective!

Why do I feel like I'm working with an early Beta product with TrueImage 8?

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

A few tips which may help:

1. If using Roxio software, disable the drag-to-disk feature.
    2. Open "My Computer", right click on your CD/DVD burner, select "Properties" and then the "Recording" tab. Ensure the "Enable CD recording on this drive" box is not ticked.
    3. After inserting each CD, close the tray by clicking on the "Proceed" button. Do not close the tray by hand.
    4. Ensure the IDE controller your burner's connected to is operating in DMA mode.
    5. Unload all non-essential applications from your task bar.
    6. As a last resort, boot into Windows "SAFE" mode and then try creating the image.

A final thought. If you're splitting the image file manually, select the 650MB size as 700MB in Acronis/Windows speak is actually 734003200 bytes. This may be too much for some CDs and/or burners.

Regards

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nhr2000,
    Hello CAOgdin,

nhr2000, this error message requires additional investigation. Pelase contact support@acronis.com.

CAOgdin, do you have the same error message in Acronis True Image log? Have you contacted support@acronis.com? If not please do it cause this is the most effective way to resolve this problem.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.