Image corrupt after restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mistycat, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

I am a long time user of TI and after waiting until TI9 straightened out, have upgraded from TI7 to TI9-v 2337 and have made countless restores with TI7 and, now a few with TI9. However, recently, I restored an image that TI9 made with no problems and later,when I tried to restore it again, TI said it was corrupt and wouldn't use it nor could it be verified any longer. An image made by TI7 restored fine but this could have been a catrastophy. Only the deletion of new programs occurred between restores and nothing else, so hopefully someone can shed some light on this as I can no longer trust verified images. Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mistycat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Please clarify where the image is saved to;
    - Try to verify the image archive from the Acronis True Image Bootable CD and from under Windows

Please also create a new image archive when running from under Windows and then verify this image both when Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0.

Then create a new image archive when your PC is booted from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD and then verify this image both when running Acronis True Image 9.0from under Windows and when booted from Bootable Rescue CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. levendel

levendel Registered Member

Well!
    I used Build 2337 after a disk catastrophy and had the same result as the user in the previous post. The consequence was that I had to do everything manually and Acronis was of no use to me. In addition, the user guide is not really a user guide, because it does not tell me what to do in order to achieve a goal; it just gives me a series of independent steps, and I do not consider myself a novice user. My question is quite simple: what is the series of steps I should use in order to take a snapshot of a good system and be able to restore it after a crash? I think that I did the right thing and that Acronis has a problem, but I may be wrong.

4. levendel

One more precision in order not to leave the discussion too open. I verified the image both from the PC (Windows XP) and from the recovery CD; both checks came out OK. It is only when I started restoring that the "failure" was declared. What else was there for me to do except swearing loud and clear?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello levendel,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify where your image is saved to?

Please tell us whether you create and restore the image within Windows or in rescue mode?

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. mistycat

Thanks for the reply. The image that shows as corrupt was created within Windows of my C drive and is saved to a second internal drive (not a partition). The Boot CD verifies it as fine but it still shows as corrupt from within Windows. Images created with the Boot CD or from within Windows all verfiy as fine when checked from either the Boot CD or from within Windows.

7. levendel

My case is the same as the previous user.

8. levendel

Thanks for the response.
    I created the image in Windows and tried to restore in the rescue mode.

9. mistycat

Out of curiosity, I was going to try restoring the corrupt image from the Boot CD but now, after the computer was shut down overnight, that image no longer shows as corrupt within Windows and TI Recovery progression continues. Now, I'm really confused.

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

May be a "thermal" hardware problem. If it were my PC I would run Memtest86+ on it for several hours. Available free at:
    http://www.memtest.org

Could be that there is some marginal memory that Windows is using that doesn't come into play with the recovery CD. Anyway, running a memory diagnostic from time-to-time is a good idea anyway.

Also, have a look in XP's Event Viewer to see is the system is logging anything around the time TI is running.

11. mistycat

Thanks. I have run that test awhile ago but will try again. If a thermal hardware problem refers to a heat problem, that isn't an issue. As for Event Viewer, I do see a few failures regarding Regspy and Filespy not starting but have no idea what they are.

12. Cat-21

Cat-21 Registered Member

13. seekforever

Not necessarily a heat problem in the sense that your machine is running too hot. A heat problem in the sense that the component is good when it's cool (at morning startup) but as it heats up when powered and used it goes bad. This is not uncommon in the electronics world. Can also be good when warm and bad when cold.

14. mistycat

Thanks Cat-21. I am downloading a file and, I assume, PeerGuardian is blocking that site but I will definitely check it out later. BitDefender did fail, several times, at being manually updated, probably because my image went back 7 months. seekforever-I am intrigued by this thermal issue. My machine is about 15 months old and had never randomly rebooted until about 3 weeks ago when it rebooted for no reason, every few days, 4-5 times and never has since. Would there be any way of testing for this as the hottest temp I have ever seen was 44C, under load, and is usually in the mid 30's. Thanks again

15. levendel

I have been in the business of developing hardware and software for many years, and I have heard (too) many, many times "Oh! It must be the hardware!". Well, given the number and the nature of posts on this forum, I would bet a lot on the existence of a significant number of software problems with this product, and I would advise Acronis to do better software testing; otherwise the customer base may vanish.

16. seekforever

An intermittent is the worst kind of problem to find. Like I said, my meaning of a thermal problem was in response to your posting that the machine worked first thing in the morning after being off such that it hadn't warmed up to full operating temperature yet, not necessarily that the CPU or chipset was running too hot because of something like a fan failure - although you could make sure everything is spinning and there isn't excessive dust just to be on the safe side. Some motherboard manufacturers provide a utility to monitor fan speeds and CPU tems. Usually on the CD with the drivers etc.

XP can be configured (I don't know where off the top of my head) to halt or reboot if it gets a severe error so this may be what happened. I would try and find an error entry in the Event Log if it happens again. In fact you might scroll down in the system event log or the others to see if you can get back to the time it happened; it may be there.

17. seekforever

Yes, there are bugs in the software and TI9 was released way too early.

Why would you think that every PC TI gets loaded on is in perfect condition? It is known that TI gives the memory and disk a real workout when it is copying. It is also very likely a lot of the PCs have memory that wasn't even used until TI got installed; disks with bad sectors that weren't a problem until somebody tried to write a 10GB image files all over them.

My experience with a very marginal SATA cable yesterday is a case as well.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=126363

From reading this forum it is known that a memory test and a chkdsk do correct a lot of problems. If the problem resolution isn't obvious they sure are simple things to rule out.

18. mistycat

The memory test ran for hours and showed no errors. The Event Viewer only shows the aforementioned errors for BitDefender. I don't know what happened but, at least, it's nice to see that I probably could have restored using the Boot CD. Too bad; it would have saved me a lot of time. Just an addition. The Event Viewer doesn't show anything for the period between image creation and image restoration, so the rebooting issue is dead.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  19. levendel

I do not disagree with you in principle. Everyone of us has encountered hardware issues which impair software. No doubt! But I want to make two remarks:
    1- In my case, I did a checkdsk on the old internal drive to make sure I did not have a flaky source and the image generated by acronis onto an external drive passed the check both from Windows and from the recovery CD. However, I could not restore the image onto a brand new internal drive which has worked perfectly since then. I kept checking the image after I manually restored my disk and it passed again (no intermittent). Three more likely possibilities: a- the disk is bad and the software does not detect that the image is bad b- the disk is good, but the image is bad and the software does not detect the problem c- the image is good and the restore software is bad
    2- I assume that there can be other possibilities than the ones I listed above, but given the level of problems posted, it may be better to wait for a later build (that is if robust testing is performed until then)

20. Sliztzan

Sliztzan Registered Member

Do you have bitdefender installed? Those files are used to watch your system registry for unauthorized changes, etc. If they are in your bitdefender folder don't delete them. They are essential for operation. (There IS a separate program called Filespy and Regspy you can download as shareware, however I have no information since I've never used it.)

Filespy.sys and regspy.sys are no longer used in version 9.5 perhaps due to the name which can be a concern to many of us.

Also, you may get 2 system errors in the event viewer, after upgrading to 9.5 stating it can't find the files filespy and regspy.

The REGSpy service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

The FILESpy service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

To get rid of these errors you must edit the registry at your own risk.

Don't attempt to edit the registry if you don't know how to. Always backup before attempting to edit the registry.

BitDefender support says it is safe to remove if you have upgraded to 9.5.

Click Start, Run, type regedit and press ok.
    The old entries under the registry can be found:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Regspy
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Filespy

Also Mistycat, before I make images of my drive, I stop my virus service (of course making sure the system is clean from virus and spyware) and completely close it down, along with any other programs running in the systray with the excpetion of the clock and sound volume. Make sure you clean out all temp files including temporary internet files. Also do drive error checking and defragmentation. Just a few pointers if you didn't already know that. These steps improve image success.

Last edited: May 13, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.