Image Backup for Windows 8!

Discussion in 'Paragon Early Adopter Program' started by Paragon_MA, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Can I use utilities: ConvertHFS+ and others?
    If so, where instruction?
    If not then why are they included in the distribution))

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Ooops just had a bsod . Running Imag fw8 within win8 - said it needed to reboot to get exclusive acces to the drive.

Win8 refused to restart on it's own .

To save time, I replaced the hives, and rewrote the disk and partition code. Only took a few seconds to fix.

Strange.

I am going to try it again.

4. buddyman

buddyman Registered Member

is there any scripting support in this version?

o_O

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Just to clarify my earlier post -paragon is working great - the issue was with vss on that particular win8 installation.

6. recovery

recovery Registered Member

Hi,

Try on a Win8 HDD with EFI partition and it works.
    How can i run this software from a USB drive instead ?

Rdgs

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, it works really well so far.:D

Not sure what you mean by running it from a usb stick - Paragon haven't included any boot media builder with it yet.

8. recovery

The problem I have is need to remove the HDD. (I would like to preserve the original first boot condition)
    The current design for notebook to remove HDD is complex.

Any other solution/work around you can think of, thanks.

9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You would need to make your own winpe disc/usb stick.

It isn't hard really.

You need a 32 bit .wim and can pop image for win8 in it easily.

If I get time. I may have a go at putting something together which will automate that.

10. recovery

Got hold of a WinPE and install paragon on it.
    Manage to boot and launch explauncher but when click on backup, it shows operation failed (could not load Hard Disk Manager Library <hdm.dll>)

How can I go about this now? o_O

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You are missing prgiso.dll from your wim.

Look in your installed windows system32 or SysWOW64and copy prgiso.dll into your wim - put it in the paragon "program" folder.

Just out of iinterest, how are you starting it up? Are you using winpeshl.ini?

12. recovery

Well, I'm not sure, tried both

#1 - Win 8
    Can't find any prgiso.dll

#2 - WPE (32bit vista version of Windows PE)
    Found prgiso.dll and try as advised.

Encounter this error : Operation failed
    Could not load user interface
    Error source: Wizard Library
    Error code: 0x200000a
    :doubt:

13. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You haven't given any info to go on.

What pe?

How did you add it in?

14. CraiginNJ

CraiginNJ Registered Member

I very much appreciate the new development project. Sounds great and much better than my buying HDM12 only to find it fails when I need to restore.

Questions:

1. Will IB4W8 enable complete image (snapshot) backups of the Windows 8 Boot Camp partition of my MacBook Pro/Retina?

2. Will IB4W8 enable proper restore of that bootable Windows 8 Boot Camp partition? (I worry about my prior backup sw provider saying they could could back but not restore because Boot Camp doesn't have a MBR . . . something about using EFI instead of UEFI/BIOS.)

3. How will this coordinate with my need to also make periodic full image backups of the primary partition (Mac OS X) on that computer's SSD?

4. Silly qn: I assume IB4W8 backups must be done from within Boot Camp-booted Windows, and *not* by running the Boot Camp Windows 8 partition within Parallels 8 within OS X MtnLion, right?

FWIW, I've preferred doing image backups by booting to a CD or USB flash memory stick, but maybe you'll make me change my mind if the speed of backup is the same or can be backgrounded without slowing my Win8 apps too noticably. For recovery, though, I'd need the bootable CD or USB flash memory stick that others are already discussing here.

Craig

15. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I don't use bootcamp, so can't help you with that.

When there is a full paid version , it will come with a separately downloadable BMB (boot media builder).

Annoyingly, you need to d/l the HUGE WAIK to use it.

Unless you know how to do it without WAIK, of course.

16. CraiginNJ

There's been no new comments for a while. How is the development and alpha/beta testing coming along?

17. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Development is currently integrating the component into service builds of the current versions of Paragon products, they will be released relatively soon.

18. CraiginNJ

I tried to run the beta to back up the Win8 partition of my new MBP15 with Retina Display, but it didn't create a backup.

It set up the operation and made it reboot, and seemed to start to run a Paragon program of some kind when machine booted into Windows (I saw some text overwrite the Windows booting screen), but after a few seconds it just rebooted a 2nd time and restarted Win8 normally. I checked the destination location (a folder on a USB3.0-connected external HD) and nothing was stored there.

I came to Paragon because people said it was one of only a couple of ways to backup a Mac's bootcamp Windows partition, but it didn't do the job. Is the version that you're incorporating into the release product able to run on a Mac (that boots to Windows) in order to backup that bootcamp Windows partition? Or is it only usable on Windows-only hardware? I'm hoping that the other code you have in your release might make a difference, but I can't know.

Craig

19. SilverSurger

SilverSurger Registered Member

Hi, I hope someone is still monitoring this thread. I've tried using this on Windows Server 2012, but run into a problem. It's a new vanilla Windows 2012 Standard Server install, and Paragon's Image Backup is the only program installed. When trying to backup, I get a 'Volume exclusive access' error. The list of files it claims is locking the C drive are all system files, so can't really be closed. Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance,
    SS

20. tella

tella Registered Member

Hi,
    Same problem as SilverSurger that a "Volume exclusive access to the C drive" error comes up while trying to restore an image of the system drive. Have tried on 2 different computers with Windows 8 Pro both give the same error when trying to restore an image of the C drive. When attempting the restore process from within Windows the "System restart" box (as shown on page 27 of the instructions) doesn't pop up so not surprised it fails. Any idea why the program doesn't work as it is supposed to?

21. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

This issue was researched and problem fixed. The fix was implemented in all mainstream products of Paragon HDM and Drive Backup line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.