I'm thinking of getting a netbook and was wondering if some security programs could

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

run on it. I was thinking Returnil. I'm also going to have Avast and Sandboxie. I don't know much about netbooks except they are cheaper and smaller versions of laptops. Are there any compadability issures?

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Re: I'm thinking of getting a netbook and was wondering if some security programs cou

My netbook (Asus 10") runs the same things as my 17" Asus. I wouldn't run Vista on a netbook, but Win 7 will probably be OK. Another factor is that they are cheaper than "normal" laptops but there are differences among them in terms of performance. If I were you, I'd be concerned about the size of the screen: I have a 10", but If I could choose again I'd try to get a 12".

You might be interested in reading this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=254892

3. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Re: I'm thinking of getting a netbook and was wondering if some security programs cou

I have an Asus 1000HE netbook. You want to make sure that whatever security apps you put on it don't grind your hard drive. If possible bring your ram up to aleast 2GB.

Check out:
    AV's: Avira/Prevx/Hitman Pro/MBAM
    HIPS: Defensewall, Sandboxie, Online Armor

You want minimalistic layers but good security.

On my netbook XP runs faster than Win 7 but 7 is a great os and very addictive.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There is really no need to have so much stuff installed on netbook. ust install avast! and live a happy life.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Cheater,

Netbooks often have single core low clockrate CPU's, so Rezjor is right, keep it light.

I would use Windows7 (you problably buy one with a free Win7 upgrade) and run it with the lightest security possible:

a) use UAC (use slider to ignore user initiated elevations)

b) use the freebie Windows7FireWallControl, uses the Win& FW filtering kernel, only adds another GUI to it

c) use PGS (pretty Good Security) to apply a deny execute of the user space and restrict (run as LUA) some internet facing aps, except IE8 (runs by default in protected mode) and Iron (has its own sandbox). See picture for an example (do not use the default ini file, use the one as pictured).

d) use Immunet cloud AV, to check when you install a program, do not use the 'Monitor Application Start', since nothing is allowed to run from the user space with PGS . So no need fo ran AV to consume CPU cycles for real time protection, only protects you when you install a program.

e) use Hitman Pro for an occasional healt check (it is a great application).

f) use Sanity check for occasional check on hidden rootkits

Goodnews, all these aps are available on x86 and x64 (only PGS uses your OS internals, so it comes in one version).

g) use Chrome (or chromeplus) as your browser (fast with build in Sandbox, change link to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --safe-plugins -incognito for optimal safety and privacy

Bottem line, light smart protection, using your OS internals as main protection components.

Regards Kees

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Links for SRP explanation http://www.mechbgon.com/srp/ PGS does it all for you, see picture for setup instruction under Vista or Win7

Attached Files:

7. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I was giving him options. To each his own as some are power users and others just check their google stock and visit CNN.

On my netbook I have a couple of layers:
    AV -> Hips -> Anti executable and a few on demand scanners just in case
    and my netbook runs great. Although I've tried out hundreds of applications
    and I know which ones are light and functional.

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure Returnil, Sandboxie and Avast will not drag it down. Its only 3 programs.

9. reinwald

reinwald Registered Member

I also use a netbook.. namely the MSI u100 wind.. it does everything what i require it to do.. and very satisfied!

before i used to use KIS 2009 and was fairly okay with it..but KIS 2010 became too slow.. i'm now currently using Sandboxie, OA Premium, AntiVir..

I was wondering how you guys installed Win 7? would it be compatibile with my Wind?

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've installed avast! 5 beta on my ACER Aspire One and never looked back.
    It's so fast i can't notice any drag what so ever. Boot is fast, no lag when opening programs etc. Truly brilliant. Only AV that works this fast is AVIRA, if you set it to scan files based on extensions.

11. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Hey RejZor,

How is Avast 5 beta for detection and clean up? I've seen there has been some real improvement from it as of late. First thing I'd do in Avast is turn off the voices, they compete with the voice in my head ;)

12. Less

Less Registered Member

sandboxie will be good

13. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I run Linux on two of my netbooks. Most of them come with Windows XP. Windows Vista is just a resource hog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.