Im shoot this pc help lol

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Mr.Blaze, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:mad:And yet another reson never to buy a Gate way pc

Today i bought 256 32x64 168 pin dimm pc 133 that the guy swore up and dowen it was 1oomhz/up to 133mhz compadiable by a company called specteck some crapy name i never even heard of

i was going to buy a kingstion or poney 256 sd ram 133mhz

but they were all sold out

so i had no choice but to buy this lame one

i read the thing at best buy where i was buying it from
    and on the sale tag it did indeed say it was 100mhz and 133mhz even if the box didnt say it

just to make sure i check up the product code to make sure it was the 100/133

i told the guy i have had horriable experinces with ram on my stupit gateway pc

and that it absolutly had to be 100/133

because last time i put in poney ram that was 133mhz it didnt work

nothing would show up on my screen

yet a 128 133 mhz ram made buy kingstion worked like a charm

and that i bought a 256 poney sd ram 100/133mhz compadiable either way actualy worked on my pc

i think cauyse it can go either way

my gate way pc stats says it can suport either 100mhz or 133mhz

the guy said will even if the box on the specteck ram says 133mhz and dont mention the 100mhz it does infact suport 1oomhz as well

so i look at the plastic tag thing it was hanging from and yes it said it did suport both types.

so i get home i try to instal it and what happends?

nothing the monitor light stays yellow and nothing happens

i take the ram out and leave the pony ram in and sure enough my pc works

i stick in the new ram algain same thing no green light nothing

so i switch ram places

it works but only thing registring is the pony ram not the stupit speckteck ram

i take both rams out and compare the words word for word

they say the same exact thing of what they are

only difrence is the way the chips on the ram are lay out

what do i do

i was told once that some times you have to clean out something and register the ram

some one said that on this bord

what do i do this stupit thing should work but it dont

all i notice one minor difrence on the kingstion it says kvr-pc 133/128 R

i think theother one whic is poney says kinda same thing except it made by poney says 100/133 R

the crapy specktek dont have R

i duno i hate this any one know what to do

2. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

Yep . . . GW suks!!! Got a 2 1/2 yo laptop. Hd just failed for the 5th time. To make matters worse, local GW store just closed up!!!! :(

3. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

not sure what all the ruckess is about :)

just shoot it... LOL

Hard to dicipher your colorful posts, but if you have a ram issue you might try

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?module=SDRAM%2C+PC100&Attrib=Package&cat=RAM

if the above link does not get what you want try looking around on the site

I bought some ram from crucial a couple years back, and everything went smooth on the transaction, pricing & install.

BTW it was for a gateway pc.

I love my gateway so my experience has been nothing like yours. :)

Good Luck

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Don't you still have that Gateway 700c ? In any case i would need the serial number to help you or you can do it yourself here....

Upgrading Memory

Tips for Upgrading Memory

The first step to upgrading the memory in your computer is to either restart the computer and enter the BIOS Setup Utility or use the automated feature mentioned in the next paragraph. On the BIOS Main page, verify how many memory slots are not populated. If all slots are populated, you must replace existing memory modules with memory modules of the same type, but with more megabytes (MB).

Gateway has two automated methods on the Gateway Web site to assist in determining which kind of memory is installed in your computer.

My Current Config - On the Support Home page, click My Current Config. This method searches the contents of the computer being used via a DirectX application, and then displays a list of the components in your computer.
    Serial Number entry - On the Support Home page, enter the serial number of the computer being upgraded. This method searches our database for that computer's original configuration using the computer's serial number as a reference point. As the information is retrieved, it is displayed in your browser and stored on your computer for quick reference when you want to review it again.

On the configuration screen, look for the entry called "memory". The description gives the details on how much memory and the type of memory that was originally installed in the computer. Memory modules used for upgrading need to match the modules already installed in respect to the following categories except for size:

Size: Memory modules are listed by how much random access memory (RAM) is contained on the module. Memory modules come in multiples of 16. The most common are 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, and 512 MB. Refer to the product specifications on your computer's motherboard for maximum size of memory modules that are supported.
    Category: Memory modules are generally categorized as single-inline memory modules (SIMMs), dual-inline memory modules (DIMMs), or Rambus dynamic RAM (RDRAM) interface memory modules (RIMMs). Sub-categories of DIMMs are single data rate (SDRAM) and double data rate (DDR) memory modules. SIMMs and DIMMs can be used as a single unit. RIMMs need to be used as a pair or in conjunction with a RIMM Continuity Module (C-RIMM).
    Parity: The next item to know is whether the memory module in the computer is parity (ECC) or non-parity (non-ECC). Most Gateway desktop computers use non-ECC memory.
    Speed: Another item to know is the speed of the memory module. This information can be found either on the configuration pages or on the Main page of the BIOS information. SIMMs normally have the speed annotated by nanoseconds (ns) only. DIMMs and RIMMs have a rating like PC66, PC100, PC133, PC266, PC333, PC600, PC800 or PC1066 with an optional secondary rating of nanoseconds.
    Note: Do not mix memory speeds or install memory that has a faster rating than the motherboard. This will stop the computer from starting, report less memory than you just installed, or cause errors in the operating system. e.g. If you are using PC133 with undesired results, try PC100, etc.

Clock-cycles: The clock (4-clock, 2-clock) speed is vital in determining if the DIMM is compatible with the motherboard. This information is generally available in the specifications of the memory module already installed in the computer.
    Technology: As products change, so does technology. Newer memory modules may be faster and have more capacity than what is presently in your computer. The motherboard in your computer has to be compatible with the technology that it is based on. Some memory modules are based on 64-bit and 128-bit technology, while others are based on 256-bit technology. Refer to the specifications of your motherboard to ensure compatibility.

Placing the memory module on the motherboard is done by aligning the notches of the memory module with the notches in the slots on the motherboard and pressing down until the latches rotate up to hold the module in place.
    Note: Some desktop cases may need to have drives or cables temporarily removed for access to the memory slots. Specific information on the procedure to install memory modules can be found in your computer's user guide.
    http://support.gateway.com/s/misc/troubleshootsu7.shtml

Desktop Memory Support Docs by product:

http://support.gateway.com/support/supinfo/index.asp?pg=2&file=dt_mem.html

System Memory
    Standard Memory: 64 MB (removable)
    Maximum Memory: 512 MB
    Memory Expansion: 2 sockets

Replace the compartment cover. The first time the computer is startedd, an error message appears. Press CTRL+ALT+S to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.

In the BIOS Setup Utility, the computer automatically checks the RAM size. Press the F10 key to have the computer remember the new amount. Exit Setup. After the computer restarts, the correct amount of memory is recognized.

Memory test fails

If Quick Boot is turned off in the BIOS Setup Utility and the computer is starting with memory errors, there are two possible causes:

Memory is defective.
    Memory is installed improperly.
    If the memory address starts with 0, 1, 2, or 3, then the problem is with the memory on the motherboard.

If the memory address starts with 4, 5, 6, or 7, then the problem lies with the additional RAM in the computer.

General Protection Faults (GPF) are a software problem. Usually, removing and reloading the application fixes these issues.

5. Mr.Blaze

SUMMARY HARDWARE SOFTWARE NETWORK E-mail all info Print all info

My Current Configuration is a utility that scans your system and provides detailed information about your system as it is currently configured. Information provided can assist you when purchasing hardware/software upgrades or viewing modifications made from the original configuration

Scan my system for its current configuration

Additional Features

Go to Non-Technical Information for customer service, account information and more.

Check the status of your escalated issue by entering the nine-digit issue number beginning with "1-".

My Current Configuration contains detailed information about your system as it is configured at this time. It also contains links to related upgrades for specific components for your system. Click the "Upgrade" link to general component upgrades which may or may not be specific to your system. If you are interested in purchasing an upgrade specific to your system, service or warranty, feel free to Chat with a Sales Upgrade Consultant or Give Us a Call at 1-800-GATEWAY. If we can assist you with technical questions, you may E-mail a Tech or Chat with a Tech. Below you will find a summary of the data just obtained from this system. For more details about particular information, click on one of the tabs above.

My Current Configuration contains detailed information about your system as it is configured at this time. If you are interested in purchasing an upgrade specific to your system, service or warranty, feel free to Chat with a Sales Upgrade Consultant or Give Us a Call at 1-800-GATEWAY. If we can assist you with technical questions, you may Email a Tech or Chat with a Tech.

This is a list of hardware installed in this system, ordered alphabetically by category. Hardware that requires software drivers will also show the registered date of the driver. Hardware that does not require software drivers may not be shown on this list.

My Current Configuration contains detailed information about your system as it is configured at this time. If you are interested in purchasing an upgrade specific to your system, service or warranty, feel free to Chat with a Sales Upgrade Consultant or Give Us a Call at 1-800-GATEWAY. If we can assist you with technical questions, you may Email a Tech or Chat with a Tech.

This list shows the software that is running and installed on the system.

Here are the important network settings for this PC, and a list of network components installed.

Processor
    Intel Celeron, 700 MHz
    66MHz external bus

BIOS
    American Megatrends Inc. 0AAVIP01 07/17/2000

Memory
    Upgrade
    384MB physical
    41% free resources
    2 memory slots, 0 free (256+12:cool:

Video
    Upgrade
    Graphics Adapter: PCI VGA-Compatible Display Adapter
    Screen Area/Colors: 1024x768 pixels, 65,536 colors
    Monitor: LE500
    Monitor: Default Monitor

Drives
    Upgrade
    C:\ (FAT32) 19083MB total, 8655MB free
    (Scanned 10/6/2003, Defragged 9/24/2003)
    D:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive
    E:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive

Network and Modem
    Upgrade
    (net) Microsoft Dial-Up Adapter
    (net) Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
    (net) Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    (hsfmodemwdm) Gateway PCI Modem Enumerator
    (modem) Gateway 56K AC-Link Voice Modem

Operating System
    Upgrade
    Windows Me (Windows Me 4.90.3000 )
    Original setup date: 9/29/2000
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0900
    Swap file managed by Windows
    File cache: Max 524288KB

Browser
    MSIE 6.0; Win 9x 4.90; DVD Owner; .NET CLR 1.1.4322
    Proxy: No proxy set
    HTTP level: direct 1.1, proxy 1.1
    Scripting version: 5.6.0.8515

ESSENTIAL 700C

MEMORY FOR ESSENTIAL 700C

Maximum Memory: 512MB

Standard Memory: 64MB removable

Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

NOTE: 128MB-HD EX128M0031HD IS A HIGH DENSITY MODULE THAT WILL ALSO WORK ON YOUR SYSTEM. 128MB EX128M0031 IS THE ORIGINAL DESIGN AS PER MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU INSTALL EX128M0031 TO ENSURE 100% SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY

System Specs Type of system: Desktops/Servers
    Bus Architecture: PCI/ISA
    CPU Type: 700MHz Intel Celeron

System Memory
    Standard Memory: 64 MB (removable)
    Maximum Memory: 512 MB
    Memory Expansion: 2 sockets

Comments:
    PC133 SDRAM DIMMs

System Memory Description OEM
    Part No. Kahlon
    Part No. Regular
    Price Web
    Price Availability Details Order
    64MB Memory (PC133) 5000526 KGAT526 $23.00 $13.00 In Stock
    128MB Memory (PC133) 5000528, 5000529 KGAT528 $38.00 $28.00 In Stock
    256MB Memory (PC133) 5000530, 5000532 KGAT530 $68.00 $58.00 In Stock

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hi Blaze,

IMO, and looking at the specs of your pc, you shouldn't have to mess around in the bios at all for the system to recognize the RAM.

There are a lot of RAM sticks that Gateway (and other) motherboards "don't like". My advice is to return that stick of RAM, and go with Kingston (or Gateway's recommendation) whereever you can get it, because it works with a lot of different motherboards.

Usually even Kingston's "ValueRAM" series works pretty well, but I have had the same problem with my own mb--the system just "didn't like" the cruddy brand I purchased. When I got the higher-quality (read=more expensive) stuff with the same specs, it worked great.

Good luck!

7. Primrose

Jim is wrong :D..have no idea if your sticks are a match..compatiable or any good..but you have to flash those BIOS on that 700c...

here then is the rest of the info you need for that part number...

Upgrade Information
    Part number 5000532

Memory Type Information for Part Number 5000532
    This is a 168 pin, 256-megabyte (MB), 133-megahertz (MHz) synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM) unbuffered DIMM. This is a 4-clock DIMM.

How Much Memory Can I Expand To?

Click here to enter your computer's serial number. After entering your serial number, click the My Support Docs tab. Locate the motherboard section, and then click the motherboard description link. Click Specifications. The Computer Memory section displays how much memory your computer is expandable to.

Memory Slot Information for My Computer

If you are using the computer that you want to upgrade the memory on, click My Current Configuration to see your computer's memory slot information. After clicking the link, click OK if a dialog box opens. The Memory section shows the amount of memory and the memory slot information for your computer. You can close the My Current Configuration window after you have your memory slot information.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MEMORY/DIMM/5000532/5000532ui.shtml

BTW..upgrade one of those models just the other day..but why you want 512MEG with a WinME is still beyond me..but I did see you replaced some other hardware on it recently.

Best of Luck to Ya ;)

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hey guys, is this a useful thread! A friend just today asked help for her gateway computer and she showed me several fingers thick pile of booklets in which i couldn'tfind the MB specs that quick to find thekind of RAM she'll need for her memory upgrade, so once i'm there again i'll try the links and tests in this thread. This is really great.
    Now i do hope a GateWay EV700 is standard for the specs, never know.

Now first time i also saw the Works Suite with all the handy tools inside which ships with it, only misses the very handy excel and access or maybe i didn't look deep enough yet.

So i hate to say i installed norton 2000 which came with it, but ok, start with something as it has at least email scanning, and zonealarm free.
    Lot to do on a "beginning" system, don't dare to confuse a new user with all the toys we are used to overhere on a daily base :)
    It's a nice clean neat system, but this is now i only did those few things on it and defragging and a few little things.
    After a few months it will probably be unrecognizable :cool:

9. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Could be! Have been! And probably will be again! But probably not in this case! :D
    If he has two slots that can see a stick already, why does he need a BIOS flash? o_O

Perhaps Prim is referring to getting into the BIOS setup at POST to make the size adjustments referred to on Gateway's page. If so, he's correct, but you shouldn't need to flash your BIOS, just get into setup to make the changes. Have you tried that, Blaze?

10. Mr.Blaze

ACTUALY HOW DO YOU DO A BIOS FLASH?

I WENT TO LINK ALBOVE THERS ONLY VERY FEW LIMITED SUPORT DOCS FOR THIS PC NOTHING EVEN GOOD WHICH IS SAD

American Megatrends Inc. 0AAVIP01 07/17/2000 THATS THE MOTHER BORD I GUESS

no suport docs

11. Primrose

:D Yes JIM..flash the BIOS screen..just go into it so the PC can recognize the added RAM if it is ready to accept it..not the other do dad...that is for real old system.

Blaze..can not you find a manual for that model on line..as I recall you do not have the books it came with at this point.

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Okay, so we're talking about setup in CMOS, not a BIOS flash. :D

At any rate, the online docs at Gateway specify that the BIOS *should* automatically detect the new RAM at bootup, and indeed it does when Blaze switches the 256 Pony stick and 128 stick back and forth. If so, it should also detect this new stick and at least give the option to get into setup to make the changes. At least that's what I'm gathering from his previous posts. :D Someone correct me if I'm wrong! :D

However, Blaze is reporting that the computer will not POST with the new stick,--he can't get into setup at all--which tells me that the new stick is either bad or not compatible with that system.

13. Primrose

Exactly..I do not think what he bought is compatiable..

Blaze no that is not your mother board that is the info from the chip on the boards..

This is what you have..

American Megatrends Inc. 0AAVIP01 07/17/2000

BIOS 0AAVIP01.
    gateway essential 700c.

gateway with windows me (with goback).

Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    700 megahertz Intel Celeron
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gateway Brookings
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0AAVIP01 07/17/2000
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    9.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    9.37 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F [CD-ROM drive]
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

WDC WD100EB-11BHF0 [Hard drive] (10.01 GB) -- drive 0 64 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 64 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 9.99 GB 9.37 GB free

Controllers Display
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Intel 82801AA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
    Gateway LE500 [Monitor] (13.5"vis, s/n LIC04060766, October 2000)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Intel 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller Wave Device for Voice Modem
    Communications Other Devices
    56K AC-Link Voice Modem #2
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter HID-compliant consumer control device
    HID-compliant consumer control device
    HID-compliant system control device
    USB Human Interface Device
    USB Human Interface Device
    PCI Modem Enumerator
    HID-compliant keyboard
    PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-Key)
    HID-compliant mouse
    Microsoft USB IntelliMouse
    Standard PS/2 Port Mouse
    Generic USB Hub
    Generic USB Hub
    USB Composite Device
    USB Root Hub

Here are links to the MotherBoards used by gateway and links to the manual..

MotherBoards used on gateways

http://support.gateway.com/support/supinfo/index.asp?pg=2&file=dt_mot.html

http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/index.shtml

http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Desktops/desktop.shtml

14. Primrose

I think your motherboard is a brookings (Jabil) and you can find all you want at this link...

Desktop Jabil 700-MHz Motherboard Support Docs by product:

2516176 - Jabil Motherboard - Celeron™ 700-MHz R0
    2512535 - Jabil (Corfu II) Motherboard 700-MHz Celeron™
    2512489 - Jabil (Brookings) Motherboard Celeron™ - 700-MHz
    2512267 - Jabil (Brookings) motherboard - 700-MHz Celeron™
    2511660 - Jabil (Brookings) motherboard - 700-MHz Celeron™

http://support.gateway.com/support/supinfo/index.asp?pg=2&file=dt_mot061.html

15. Primrose

Here is a photo and a write up on those DIMM Slots.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/2511081/251108104.shtml

but you might have a different board. they all go by gateway serial numbers and since only you have the serial number on your PC...that is the key to find out exactly what they put into that build when it came off the line.

Some of those 700MHZ boards will only take a 64mhz then an additional 128 or 256

16. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hmm. I thought that's what I said in the first place. :D We agree here! ;)

Blaze, you have a touchy Gateway motherboard, no more no less, and fiddling with your BIOS or CMOS settings isn't going to make any difference. You'll be pulling your hair out for no reason! :D

Again, my advice is to return that cruddy stick of RAM and get something like the Pony (PNY?) stick or Kingston stick as I mentioned in my first post. Suffer through until the store gets some more in.

Good luck!

17. Mr.Blaze

:'( you guys are awsome all of you no doubt about it.

Will i still didnt get ram to work but good news is best buy say they gimme my money back.

they also said its perty common some pc's just dont like certin ram.

But i read all your guys posts and i have learnd so much about ram and my pc im extreamly greatful.

big huge hugs to all of you :D

love blazey lol :D

18. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Blaze,

Just a thought: isn't it possible to buy the RAM online from Gateway?
    Or don't they sell the kind of RAM you need for your PC anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.