I'm really all HIPSed out and confused!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So for a long time I used Comodo, including Defense+ with ThreatFire (two Hips) with no problems. Then I decided Comodo was to confusing and went with Online Armor Free, also with TF and no problems. Tried PCTools firewall, no problems but for a good six months or more it has been Comodo firewall only (no D+) and TF. This combo is unbelievably light and of course no conflicts. Now I have this free license for the commercial OA and am trying to decide whether I should just dump Comodo and TF and use it. Admittedly, I'm not really sure TF, at the default settings, is offering that much more protection. NOD32 has always been my AV and I'm behind a router. My obsessive side is wasting time even thinking about this since I never go to the dark side and use Sandboxie!

2. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hi ratchet,

If your happy with Comodo then stick with it. :) D+ is getting more usable in every release.

Do you need help with anything regarding D+ of Comodo? As the saying goes... "If it aint broken, don't fix it"

Cheers,
    Josh

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

3xist and ssj100, your points (try OA and if it ain't...) are part of my confusion, i.e. deciding between those two options! lol

4. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

I was previously using comodo but after seeing the free offer from OA I got a license and I've been using it since.

I like it and will probably be staying with it for awhile, I'm currently only using sandboxie, OA and a router.

You could always look at the features and see which one you like more....you've already used the free version of OA and you're currently using comodo so you know what they're both like, the paid version of OA offers some more then the free version of OA though ofcourse.

It's always hard deciding between programs. ;)

5. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If properly configured, either a good HIPS or SandBoxie will give you more than adequate protection. A combination of the 2 would be an almost bulletproof setup. Using a 2nd HIPS does very little to improve your overall security.

Use a single HIPS to defend your operating system. Run your browser, media player, and any other apps that open web content in SandBoxie to isolate them from the OS. If you take the time to configure both well, nothing will break through that combination.

6. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Hi, I am not ratchet but I have a question regarding D+

I tried it many times but more than a year before and it bugged me that some rules are preset. I mean that I couldn't use it like Malware Defender for exaple, i.e. I want to decide for everything and I used every possible setting. Is it now fixed?

7. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

I agree :thumb:

That's been my setup for about a year now, sandboxie and a HIPS.

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I just recently purchase Malware Defender. I used ProcessGuard for several years then AppDefend/RegDefend (Ghost Security). I moved over to MD because development of AP/RD seemed to come to a stop over a year ago. MD has good default protection. It is very light and highly configurable. If you have trained it properly (learning mode) you can leave it in silent mode with all protections enabled. Only occasionally I will need to tweak something.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

One thing to base a choice on is the interface. I like Online Armor because (to my mind) it is logical and easy to understand. I've also used the Comodo Firewall, but eventually moved on because the interface was confusing to me. Obviously this is subjective and doesn't say anything about the effective of the firewall, but if the interface is understandable you're more likely to configure it optimally for the best protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.