IM Protection

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Rachiano, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachiano

Rachiano Registered Member

Hi,
    More and more I see my IM contacts send me links to websites containing inappropriate material. When I ask them why they send me that message they just tell me they didn't or they are offline. I see that NOD32 has no protection for Instant Messaging. Are there plans to add it? What are you using to protect your IM communication?

Thanks.
    Rachiano.

2. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

In all honesty IM protection is just a gimmick.

First of all, if something downloads then your real time scanner will detect the newly created file, or it will detect it if/when you execute it, otherwise if both of those methods fail then IM protection won't protect you any better (no definitions for that particular strain).

Secondly, if you receive a link and you click it, then it will launch your browser, at which point your Web scanner will take over, even if your web scanner is off, the file has to go somewhere so back to part 1 (Another reason why web scanning is also a salesman gimmick, in order for stuff to infect you, it has to download and execute at which point your Real Time scanner should kick in, otherwise no matter what WEB/IM/CHICKEN scanner you have, it won't do squat if you Real Time can't see it...they both ran off the same definitions and the same main engine.)

All of those extra "scanner" is just extra bloat companies use to advertise their product.

BLAH BLAH AntiVirus comes with
    IM Scanner
    Web Scanner
    Network Scanner
    Mail Scanner
    Scanner Scanning Scanner that Scans scanning thingies etc

Everything boils down to basics, if your Real Time scanner can't detect the strain then no matter if your product has IM scanner etc, you will still be nailed. :)

All those extra "scanners" just give the user the "ahh soo good feeling" and self justification why the user just paid $50.00 for product from Company A who has IM scanner rather then $49.99 for a product from company B that just employs Real Time Scanner.

Don't even start me on the extra bloat and internet slowdown all those "extra scanners" bring.

3. Rachiano

Thanks for the reply.
    So, realtime scanning protects us good.
    Wondering what the other AV software are scanning when they say they have IM scanning included? Do they scan every message that comes in and that goes out?...If they do IM scanning after all. That's why they use so much resources.

That scanner scanning scanner thing is funny...reminds me of meetings when the next meeting will be held.:)

Well I am running NOD32 V4 and am happy with it until now.

Will see tommorow what it will do if it detects conficker.

Rachiano.

4. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Tomorrow conflicter will only query the bases for instructions.

No detection necessary, you either have it or you don't.
    If you are patched then you don't.

5. Rachiano

Ok nice. So only infected PC's will get new instructions.
    I hope security experts can trace the base.
    Microsoft gives $250000 reward if the bad guys are captured....I think I read it somewhere.

Rachiano.

6. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.