I'm looking for a GoBack surrogate

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by LesbonicoPegasio, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LesbonicoPegasio

LesbonicoPegasio Registered Member

Hi everybody.

When GoBack was Roxio no problem. It works really really good. But since the acquisition by Symantec... kaput!
    I am look for a surrogate with the same features.
    Eg. Pre-boot window (to prevent pc formatting by a virus)
    Easy restore of previous versions of files (by right click)

Any ideas?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

LesbonicoPegasio,
    You can try one of these :

Backontrack
    DeepFreeze
    FirstDefense-ISR
    RestoreIT
    Rollback Rx
    ShadowUser
    WinrollBack

My personal choice was FirstDefense-ISR.
    They all restore your system, but in a different way. It depends on what YOU want and your system has to like it too.

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I'd go for FirstDefense-ISR

But so try

Rollback Rx - like this a lot but not 100% on my machines
    ShadowUser - not for me
    WinrollBack - fine but I went with FD or RD

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

You are so right about GoBack... Roxio's v3 worked very well and I never noticed any appreciable system slow-down as a consequence of using it. Alas, it is no longer fully compatible with WinXP SP2.

Sometime after Symantec acquired the product from Roxio and came out with their version 4, it seemed to me to be a no-brainer upgrade. After installing it on my desktop PC (with a 2.8 GHz P4, 1GB RAM and a 10K RPM SATA HDD) I noticed a dramatic decline in overall systen performance. When I attempted to discuss that problem with Symantec, I found their support to be almost non-existant, so I said goodbye to GB4.

Since none of these instant-restore products are intended for a disaster-recovery situation, I rely on Acronis True Image for that type of event. That said, my next experience with an instant-restore product was RestoreIT. It performed much better than GB4, but it would not co-exist with True Image, so that just didn't do it for me.

My next (and most recent) attempt at finding the 'ideal' instant-restore program was Rollback Rx Pro. Suffice to say, I found it to be unstable and in fact Rollback actually caused system crashes (on both my desktop and laptop)!!! ...I won't go into the details here as they are discussed (many times over) in other threads within this forum.

So at this point in time, Erik's and Starfish's recommendation is probably your best bet, although (afaik) FDISR won't do file-restores by right-clicking.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree totally with what happened with Goback. I just didn't bother upgrading once big yellow had it.

I use, and love FDISR, but your right it doesn't have that wonderful goback feature of right clicking on a file and retrieving versions of that file. I found a replacement for that function with a program AJC Active Backup (http://www.ajcsoft.com/index.php). Now I have the best of both worlds.

Pete

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am sure the omly best chice here is FD-ISR.
    I just want to ask is there any other restore softwrae that has the same speed as RollBackRx?

7. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Like ErikAlbert has indicated, you should tried them and go with the one that satisfied the most your needs and work the best on your system.

Personnally, I have gone with Rollback but I never try First Defense because my system is in French and First Defense can not be install in system that are not in English...

@Aigle, I doubt that any other restore program can have the same speed than Rollback because Rollback appear to be using a completely different method than the competition (wich could also means bugs that other might not have ;-)

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I didn't find that option either in FD-ISR.

@LesbonicoPegasio
    "AJC Active Backup" might be a solution for recovering data-files on your computer :
    http://www.ajcsoft.com/index.php
    Just watch the demo-movie at this website and decide for yourself if you need it or not. This software is of course not an immediate system restore solution.

Whatever your choice will be, TEST your "image backup software" and "immediate system recovery software" THOROUGHLY, not only separately but also the combination, because both softwares are supposed to save your computer in the worst scenarios : operating system + applications + personal data.

My personal combination is "FirstDefense-ISR + Acronis True Image" and they never failed upto now. The perfect team for me. :)

9. Atomas31

ErikAlbert, out of curiosity : did you try other combination than FD-ISR and Acronis True image? Your testing for that combination was very interesting and any other test of other combination could be interesting. :)

10. Peter2150

Couple of points.

1) FDISR next version will work with international versions of Windows.

2) Rollback speed advantage disappears when you end up going thru chkdsk runs.

Pete

11. Atomas31

Pete

1) Do you have any idea why does FDISR "doesn't" work with system other than english? It is, for one, the first time that I see a software working on english system exclusively...

2) chkdsk ain't so long (at least with version 7.2.1 of Rollback) on my system and it is very, very rare... Also, should we understand that chkdsk never happen with FDISR?

Best regards,
    Atomas31

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hello LP. Just another option for you if you really like GoBack. I have been a GoBack user since it was Roxio. It has saved my butt on many, many occasions. I also upgraded to GoBack 4 when Symantec took over, since I was using NAV at the time. I have since removed all Symantec products from my computer. The last to go was Norton GoBack. I am now running Roxio GoBack 3.2 again. I've noticed everything loads faster at startup now. The Roxio GoBack GUI loads faster.

If you are interested in keeping GoBack on your computer, here is a link to Roxio's GoBack.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/goback.nsf/docid/2003053015201258

Don't be worried about the Symantec page, it is definately Roxio GoBack. You will need your Roxio GoBack CD, and key to install this version. You should probably run the Norton removal tool before you install this. I don't have the link to that, but I'm sure someone here has.

Good luck.

13. LesbonicoPegasio

14. Peter2150

Hi Atomas31

1) I sure don't. I just know International Support is coming in the next version.

2) Lets put it this way. Couple of Kav beta builds back things were a bit ugly. Had 5 power resets in a row starting with one at the login stage, each one getting a bit further until the last one was just a hung system after getting fully logged in. I never saw any disk issues so I ran chkdsk and the disk was fine. With Rollback whenever I did a power reset I had a chkdsk run, and the time added up.

Pete

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Another vote for FirstDefense. :cool:

Acadia

16. LesbonicoPegasio

I cannot install FistD. bacause I use an Italian language Windows.

I will try to put the old versione of GoBack (3.21.106).

Thanks.

17. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Would you happen to know if this version will work with NTFS?

John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.