im finish with avira..... after heavy infection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by simisg, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simisg

simisg Registered Member

im finish with avira..... after heavy infection by virus virut and vitro. avira has detect virut but don't stop it from destroy all my exe and dll. ( thanks to dr web cureit and avg special antivirut tool that save my computer from format.) not save me finally!!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

That can happen with any AV. I suggest you think of getting something to supplement AV instead of switching.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I suggest you consider an imaging (backup) program which would restore your system within (average) 10 minutes. You don't want to even know what the infection was, restore and everything is back as it was. Huangker is right that can happen with any AV if you rely completely on them.

4. simisg

simisg Registered Member

i know all that .....but i forget to use my sandbox. a serious antivirus must protect my files not only detect. avira also not have clean,heal option. im back to comodo for complete protection. this virus (virut) is monster

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

With virut I'd start over with a clean image.

6. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Same here.:'(

7. mm79k

mm79k Registered Member

No software on this earth will give you a "complete protection" :rolleyes:

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I suggest he considers posting it in the Avira forum where someone might actually care.

9. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Cleaning a virut infected system is pretty useless, a lot of your binaries will be broken anyway...

Delete All -> recover from backup/start from scratch

Anything else will leave broken files scattered around on your system, just waiting to be run and then crash...

10. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Yes. It's one of the reasons for to use an indipendent sw HIPS too.

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

For your record Nod had had at least more than one incident with virut. Don't come along and treat me like an Avira fanboy. I know your innuendo and I have never appreciated it.

12. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Sandboxie and Avira PE :thumb:

13. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Yes although in this case it's too late now,imaging will prevent many future headaches.

14. elapsed

Congratulations at completely misinterpreting my post, I won't bother explaining considering you have already got so aggressive over nothing.

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

To the original poster, how did you get the problem? Opening a game, a program from a download site etc?

Also, which program has the best success of cleaning up this infection? Symantec, prevx etc?

I know a complete install might be necessary, just wondering that's all.

16. elapsed

I'd say the best cleanup tool has always been Dr. Web's Cure it.

edit: I don't mean in specific to virut, just in general.

17. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thanks for the reply elapsed.

simisg, how effective was CureIt? Did you perform a 'heal' on most detected files?

18. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Agree with post 3. An infection can happen with any AV product. Having clean images to restore is the real protection.

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Funny how you quoted me giving general advice, and not addressing directly the OP, you are not subtle at all.

20. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Surely its better to have it detected and not removed than not detected and not removed ;)

... Although, of course, detected and disinfect/remove is ideal, but there has to be a sacrifice somewhere... quick signatures, less able to disinfect or more time-consuming signatures, more able to disinfect... of course, time costs... less additional signatures you could have created, eradicating the need to disinfect for the majority of users.

Virut is one of the most annoying viruses to remove effectively and bring files back to a perfect working order.

End of the day, its upto you what you want to use, just don't be surprised or start ranting if your next AV doesn't do it all aswell, none are 100% effective in all areas, so you'll just have to live with being dissatisfied, regardless of what you use I guess (yes, and that includes Comodo, although I have nothing against it for the record).

21. simisg

simisg Registered Member

hi im talkin from my ubuntu netbook now my windows crash to many times i have format my diskdrive most powerful software to clean this monster virus is avg special antivirut tool.....or norman antivirut tool and cureit but no one completely kill this monster...... i feel secure to my ubuntu now xoxo.

22. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Just curious, how did you get infected? Just surfing the internet, playing a game, installing software?

Ice

23. elapsed

So you didn't understand you're just looking for an excuse to lash out, right, I'll pass on that one, thanks.

24. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

http://remove-malware.com/antimalware/anti-malware-howto/how-to-remove-a-patching-virus-w32virut-w32sality/

This guy made a video on how to remove this virus.
    Applications used in this video are:
    Dr. Web Live CD
    Comodo Internet Security
    Malwarebytes AntiMalware

25. simisg

simisg Registered Member

forget videos and solutions sality and virut are big monsters who kill the superman listen to me just format....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.