I'm bringing my laptop on a trip and the whole family is going to use it.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

How can I protect ito_O I'm going to make an account that the family can go on but need some help deciding how to keep it safe so nothing can get on the computer or go to my main account. I was thinking of doing a limited account but I remembered Boclean does not work on limited accounts. I will have Spyware Terminator active and Prevx 2. What else do I need for the family accounto_O This will be getting internet usage from the family.

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Why not install a virtualization program if you don't already have one? Returnil and Powershadow for instance are free. If you have one of them protecting your computer then the family should be able to do whatever they want and then you can wipe away any changes with a reboot.

*note: I don't believe PS works with SATA or RAID drives and the 2.82 version can no longer be registered for free from what I understand.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

iirc BOClean does work under limited accounts, its updating that cause a problem. There is a solution on this page (look for Cannot get BOClean to update on "limited user accounts").

If you dont a full virtualization program you can also try a sandbox (sandboxie or geswall).

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Agreed! I've ran BOClean under my Limited account ever since I started using it. Once the permissions issue for updating is tweaked, it runs fine...

5. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Why not try Returnil and turn on System Protection for the duration, then, when the trip is over, turn Returnil off, update all your programs and you're away in a hack.

Returnil will ensure that any changes made to your system, good or bad, will be disposed of when you boot into ordinary mode. This means that you are fully protected from unwanted modification of the file system or the registry. It also means that any malware whatsoever, that may slip past your defences, is disposed of in a complete fashion leaving your 'puter in a pristine state.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I have a temp solution for your temp demand. Why not inst DeepFreeze standard for a 30 days(perhaps 60 days?) trial. It will protect your box, leaving nothing, virtually nothing on your account or system while using in Frozen mode. Of course, assuming your family trip does not last longer than DF's trial period. Nothing to lose, but a lot to gain. Fair deal. Have a nice and safe journey.

7. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

use sandboxie or bufferzone free, and hide the icons for non-default browsers

in addition to prevx2, spyware terminator and boclean i'm sure you'll be fine.

or alternatively install a trial of defensewall or geswall, it should auto-protect your browser apps.

8. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

von voyage! :)

9. cheater87

Thanks. :D Don't worry I"ll only be gone for a week.

10. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Plenty of good suggestons in this thread. Have a great time! :)

11. cheater87

Should I leave the account limited or is it safe as admin with all that securityo_O

12. WSFuser

Go for the limited accounts.

13. cheater87

Ok it will be limited.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  14. cheater87

That limited account worked great. Deleted it when we got back because everyone has their own computer to go to now. :D

15. WSFuser

Great to hear it :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.