I'm a complete ammature having problems with SocksCap

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Anon the Mouse, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anon the Mouse

Anon the Mouse Registered Member

First of all, I've just found these forums through Google, and I'll admit I only signed up in hopes of getting help with this problem I'm having. I've read through a few threads and, while I dont understand much of whats being said, I've come to realize most of you know what you're talking about! This is good for me, considering I know almost nothing about how computers connect to the internet.

Anyway, on to my problem. I've just recently downloaded SocksCap as a means to connect to the internet with an IP adress that is not my own. I'm only using SocksCap because I'll be needing to do it with programs other than Internet browsers. I was told SocksCap will work with ANY program on my computer.

So I downloaded it and found a public Proxy adress through proxyblinds.org. I tried A SOCKS server and a regular Proxy (as i have no clue what the difference is. Like i said, I've no idea about any of this) but none of them would effectively allow me to connect to the internet via Mozilla Firefox.

I am stumped. Could anyone offer me a suggestion or two?

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Welcome to the forums Anon the Mouse,

I'd suggest you clarify what exactly you are trying to achieve in terms of anonymity - specifically are you:
    • looking to anonymise certain applications only (e.g. web browser, email, chat - typically different applications need different solutions);
    • looking to anonymise all network traffic (SocksCap/FreeCap would come into play here but not all applications will work with them - most ISP email servers, for example, will only allow you to send emails if your IP address belongs to that ISP in order to prevent spamming).
    The second is who do you wish to conceal your address/activities from?
    • Sites you visit only - using a proxy will work here though be aware that some proxies do report your original address;
    • Those with access to your network connection (which includes your ISP or local network manager but can include law enforcement/government too) in which case you need to look at products that encrypt the data leaving your PC (see Don't Fear Internet Anonymity Tools for a discussion on options here);
    • Those with physical access to your PC (hard disk/file encryption and secure deletion software become important here).
    All these possibilities have been discussed on previous threads, but for simple web surfing I'd suggest you consider a combo of Proxomitron>Privoxy>Tor (see Setting up Tor/Proxomitron+SocksCap for more details).

3. Anon the Mouse

Anon the Mouse Registered Member

Well, I was afraid to mention this as it's a slightly less-than-noble cause, but my new intrest in privacy is for playing online games. I'm trying to work around an IP ban. However I was hoping I'd be able to use SocksCap for normal web browsing too. I wouldn't use it for POP Email, IRC, etc.

I guess I'd need to conceal my adress from any server I'd try to access in my game. Would this fall under the "sites you visit" category? Anyway, thanks for the help thusfar.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Games are likely to be more difficult since each may have its own protocol and port usage. The best bet is to "suck it and see"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.