IIS / .NET problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Dina, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dina

Dina Guest

Hi everyone,

Any help on this is highly appreciated.

I had downloaded the trial version nod32 a short while ago, and everything was fine; every now and then the virus definitions would be updated automatically and I would get a notification. A few days back i started getting an error that "could not connect to server" or something like that, although I was actually online at that time. This error continued until windows security (WinXP + SP2) informed me that I may be at risk since my virus definitions are out of date. So I logged on to the site and re-downloaded the trial version. I uninstalled the one I had, and installed the one I had just downloaded. I am a software developer, and I run IIS on my machine, and use visual studio.net, and after I had installed this new Nod32, everything went wrong. When I tried to open any webpage hosted on my computer, everything would just freeze up, and not even ctrl+alt+delete would work; and it would force me to restart manually. Similarly I could not open any of my projects in visual studio.net because it would say contacting web server and then just halt and nothing would respond. I tried waiting but that didn't work. I had not installed or changed anything in my system except for nod32; so i uninstalled it, and tada... my IIS works fine, and my websites are all functional, and I can work on my projects in visual studio again!!! I reinstalled... Everything hanged. I uninstalled again, everything works.
    I don't know if anybody has met this before, or maybe it's a problem with my computer (?); but nod32 and my iis and .net were working fine together before; things only went wrong when i started getting that error, uninstalled and reinstalled.

Any ideas? I would really like to keep both, because I really like nod32 since it is light and keeps me safe without wrecking my machine like some major anti-virus softwares! Or at least it did before it messed IIS......

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

3. Dina

Dina Guest

:( I'm sorry but I'm a little confused.. there are a lot of instructions in post 2. Do I follow the ones that start with
    <quote> "Proceed with the following to delete the corrupted registry keys, and then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol.

Step 1. Delete the corrupted registry keys
    "
    </quote>

4. Blackspear

You could do that, personally I'd try the download link first, either way does the same job...

Cheers :D

5. Dina

Dina Guest

okay i tried the instructions but they don't work.... :-/

all that happened is that when i restarted i found my web site "stopped" and i had to make it run; and still same problem: whole machine hangs.

Any other ideas?

I will do the download and try again maybe i did something wrong..

6. Dina

Dina Guest

Okay i tried the fix, and it hasnt fixed my problem... Actually it's just made my life a little more miserable ;) now when i type my password to login (when computer starts) it just sits there forever saying "loading personal settings"; and after it opens it still takes forever to load all my startup programs.

7. Blackspear

Do you have any other Anti-virus programs installed, or what did you have installed?

Can you please download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com

Uninstall your current version.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Clean you registry using Regseeker available here:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Then Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above.

Let us know how you go…

8. Dina

Dina Guest

No other AV software; and as i said i've been using nod32 for a while and was happy with it. It stopped connecting to the server so i uninstalled and reinstalled it, and thats when trouble started.

I will try what you said and let you know how it goes.

Thank you so much for all your help

9. Dina

Dina Guest

This is just too frustrating...

I tried all you said and still it doesn't work..

Now my computer takes FOREVER to load... the login screen displays "Loading personal settings" for like 3 minutes; and then the computer takes another 2 minutes to load all my programs..
    ALL of this used to happen in no more than 40 seconds before I ran that WinsockxpFix.exe !! I have a fairly fast computer!

I am just really really furious now.. I am left with no AV and my computer is taking forever to start..

I'm guessing Nod32 just won't work on my machine anymore :(

10. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I'm not really sure that you can simply keep d/l'ing and trying to install the trial version - most software automatically times out when you do that (it keeps people from abusing - lengthening - the trial version period).

Did you follow proper un-install procedure when you un-installed NOD the first time? Pete

11. Dina

Dina Guest

I only uninstalled it because it stopped connecting to the server; I don't think that had anything to do with the trial thing; because after i installed it again nod32 itself worked fine, and connected to the server normally! I know some trial software won't let you uninstall and reinstall trial versions; but all it does is make the software itself not work, but I don't think they make them screw up something else on your machine!!

and I uninstalled it using the uninstall in the program itself (start->programs ->eset ->uninstall nod32)

I also trired to clean the registry after uninstalling (as suggested in a post)

12. Blackspear

Hi Dina, can you please try repairing Winsock, this time the manuel way:

Proceed with the following to delete the corrupted registry keys, and then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol.

Step 1. Delete the corrupted registry keys

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

NOTE: Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.

Step 2. Install TCP/IP

1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.

2. Click Install.

3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.

4. Click Have Disk.

5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.

6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

7. Restart the computer.

AFTER this try "Repair" of IMON, as per screen shot.

Attached Files:

13. Dina

Dina Guest

No luck :(

I give up.. but thanks for all your help though :(

14. Blackspear

Can you please send an email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread. If you do not hear from Eset within 3 days (allows for weekends), please advise us here...

We would appreciate if you could keep us in the loop with your progress, as we all learn this way…

15. Dina

Dina Guest

Alright.. sent the e-mail and will keep you updated

16. Blackspear

Thank you.

17. Kai

Kai Registered Member

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem here and I've tracked down the culprit to be NOD32 after 2 days or messing about, installing and reinstalling IIS, .Net Framework and Visual Studio.

The problem affects both browsers and also the 'View In Browser' in visual Studio. I can create projects ok (in localhost), but I just can't run them!

It seems that anything that wants to access a .aspx page on the localhost IIS server will cause everything to completely hang and nothing but a power off (which I'm sure isn't good for the computer & OS) will get out of.

It's so frustrating as I have to use Visual Studio for my work. Any ideas, anyone?

18. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi Kai:

Try unloading IMON (IMON - Quit) to see if it is an IMON related issue.

19. PLeX?

PLeX? Registered Member

I can confirm the issue as well. I also have the lockups when trying to run IMON while trying to work in VisualStudio.NET. Just to be sure, I setup a fresh install of only XP Pro, IIS, and VS.NET. Everything worked as expected until NOD32 was installed. Only after disabling IMON and restarting was I able to work in VS.NET again.

This problem should be easily reproduceable by Eset. I don't do much web development but I can see how it could be a problem for someone who does. I'd just disable IMON for now until the issue is resovled because AMON should get a virus that trys to write to your hard drive. Another [impractical] option is to turn off IMON and reboot whenever you want to do VS.NET development, then turn it back on and reboot again.

I sure Eset will address this issue quickly so that we can have IMON protection full time while working on our web apps.

20. Kai

Kai Registered Member

I tried just disabling IMON, but I'm still getting the same problem inside Visual Studio using the View In browser.

For the time being, I've had to just disable AMON (which kind of almost renders NOD32 useless), while I get work done.

Hopefully they'll come out with a solution soon, otherwise I'm gonna have to use some other product.

21. Blackspear

Can you please send an email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread. If you do not hear from Eset within 3 days (allows for weekends), please advise us here...

We would appreciate if you could keep us in the loop with your progress, as we all learn this way…

22. PLeX?

PLeX? Registered Member

Kai

Did you reboot after clicking Quit for IMON?

VisualStudio/IIS will not work unless you quit and reboot. It seems to work with AMON for me in two completely different machines.

Just disabling IMON and trying to use VisualStudio without a reboot will not work.

23. PLeX?

PLeX? Registered Member

I'll net to apologize for my suggestion(s). I was only trying to view an existing project. After trying to edit the project, my system locked up. I had to disable both AMON and IMON and reboot to use VS.NET.

24. Kai

Kai Registered Member

I have sent an email to support@nod32.com , with a link to this thread. For the time being, I have disabled use of NOD32 and I am considering some alternatives.

25. Kai

Kai Registered Member

Well, they certainly seem quick to reply, but is this an auto response? It doesn't seem like thye even bothered to look at this thread!

Here is my latest reply as well as theirs...

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

There are no specific files required per se. However, you would need to have access to Visual Studio .net 2003 Enterprise Architect and also in my case, I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2. I have installed all relevant updates and patches as issued by Microsoft as well as having installed IIS (internet information services), configured for localhost development.

If you were to attempt to open any .aspx document from localhost IIS, that is (in an internet browser):

http://localhost/mywebapp/app.aspx

Then the machine will completely lock up if NOD32 is running. Not even a CTRL+ALT+DELETE can help in this situation and the only possible solution is the switch off the machine.

Disabling NOD32 will rectify this situation. If you have read through the thread as sent before:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=65858

Then you will see that a user (Plex) has confirmed the issue by his own experimentation: (quote)

"I can confirm the issue as well. I also have the lockups when trying to run IMON while trying to work in VisualStudio.NET. Just to be sure, I setup a fresh install of only XP Pro, IIS, and VS.NET. Everything worked as expected until NOD32 was installed. Only after disabling IMON and restarting was I able to work in VS.NET again.

This problem should be easily reproduceable by Eset. I don't do much web development but I can see how it could be a problem for someone who does. I'd just disable IMON for now until the issue is resovled because AMON should get a virus that trys to write to your hard drive. Another [impractical] option is to turn off IMON and reboot whenever you want to do VS.NET development, then turn it back on and reboot again."

Best regards,

Kai

--- "NOD32 Technical Support (Mark)" <support@nod32.com> wrote:
    > Hi Kai,
    >
    > Please send us the necessary files and instructions
    > for reproducing the
    > problem here as our developers were unable to
    > reproduce it whatsover.
    >
    >
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > NOD32 Technical Support
    > www.eset.com
    >
    > ======================================
    > NOD32. protecting your digital worlds
    > ======================================
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: owner-support@eset.nod.sk
    > [mailto:eek:wner-support@eset.nod.sk] On Behalf
    > Of Kai
    > Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 11:18 PM
    > To: support@nod32.com
    > Subject: [support] Nod32 & Visual Studio .Net / IIS
    > .Net
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Several users (including myself) are reporting
    > issues with using Nod32 and
    > Visual Studio 2003 .Net, specifically when
    > developing internet applications
    > on localhost IIS servers.
    >
    > At present the only solution is to disable AMON &
    > IMON in Nod32 to prevent
    > lockups to the system.
    >
    > I've been asked to provide a link to the Wilders
    > Security forum, which
    > documents further about this problem.
    >
    > https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=65858
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Kai
    >

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.