IFW Backup Performance - PhyLock vs. VSS

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by The Shadow, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

I decided to backup my C-partition first using IFW's default PhyLock and immediately thereafter using Win7's VSS to see if there were any differences in the image size or the time that it took to backup and verify. All other IFW parameters were the very same for both tests and of course, there were no changes to my C-partition between tests. Frankly, I didn't expect to see much of a difference in backup time and I certainly didn't expect any difference in the backup size, so I'm very surprised with the outcome!

Using PhyLock:
    Time to backup & verify = 23' 10"
    Size of resulting .tib file = 16.2GB

Using VSS:
    Time to backup & verify = 17' 22"
    Size of resulting .tib file = 14.3GB

I'm a relatively new IFW user so if this has been observed/reported before I'm sorry for taking up the space and your time.

TS

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

3. The Shadow

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

someone also mention that settings in phylock can be adjusted to make this faster..

5. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The size difference, meaning VSS is smaller probably has to do that VSS doesn't back up the restore points, where as PYSLock does.

But I am not sure in your case, if you still using Rollback Rx or not?

Best regards,

6. The Shadow

No, I had removed Rx after my last episode (and re-enabled System Restore)! Rx had no influence on my PhyLock-VSS test.

TS

7. aladdin

Since you had the Microsoft System Restore enabled, therefore VSS doesn't include Microsoft System Restore Points in the imaging, whereas PHYLock does. And, for this reason the image done by VSS is about 2GB smaller than the image done by PHYLock. PHYLock being 2GB (compressed) larger.

You can test this by restoring the image done by both VSS and PHYLock and you will find that VSS restoration doesn't contain any Microsoft System Restore Points, but the PHYLock does.

Best regards,

8. aladdin

The above is in reference to Microsoft restore points and not Rollback Rx snapshots. If you were using Rollback Rx, then Microsoft restore points will be turned off by Rollback Rx.

On the contrary, since you had Rollback Rx uninstalled and had Microsoft restore points enabled, therefore Rx had an influence on your PhyLock-VSS test.

Best regards,

9. aladdin

People get confused with the terminology , such as restore points and snapshots.

Best regards,

10. The Shadow

Huh? o_O

11. aladdin

Since it is hard for you to understand, then maybe you will understand better like this. Make an HOT Normal Image with VSS and then make a COLD Normal Image (no locking technology is used, like VSS or PHYLock) and then compare the sizes of both these images. Check if they are equal or one is bigger?

You might learn a thing or two! :D

Hopefully, this will make you understand better, and then you won't be confused with restore points and snapshots.

12. The Shadow

Sorry aladdin, but I simply fail to see what that has to do with my orignal statement...
    (and I'm not at all confused between System Restore points and Rx snapshots). :doubt:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  13. aladdin

Here is the original statement, and read it very carefully this time.

Now, if you read the above carefully the original statement discusses restore points and not snapshots. However, I was being cautious knowing that you own Rollback Rx, and if you had Rollback Rx installed, then Rollback Rx will turn off the restore points. So, I was making sure that this was not the case and you have uninstalled Rollback Rx and turned on the restore points. In that case the VSS image will be smaller than the image taken by PHYLock as VSS doesn't back up the restore points.

I didn't want you to come back and claim that the restore points were turned off by Rollback Rx, because either you had Rollback Rx still installed or upon uninstall of Rollback Rx you forgot to turn back the restore points on. Get it!

Be a good reader. I know it is hard.

14. The Shadow

Geez aladdin - I had said: "I simply fail to see what that has to do with my orignal statement". :rolleyes:

TS

15. aladdin

Geeeeeezzzzzz, you need to chill maaannnnn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.