If you were me

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey everyone, how you been? I have recently uninstalled the AVG Antispyware Component from my AVG 7.5 ISS. It used close to 45MB of memory and caused a Security Center warning to pop up saying my Antivirus wasn't active for a couple of seconds after reboot. I then tried three different substitutes for protection and am not not sure which one to use now. I am a safe surfer and use Firefox with NoScript. I haven't had any spyware or viruses, and like my PC to run fast (opening programs, internet access, ect) I'm also very satisfied with the AVG AV and Firewall. If you were me, which of these would you use? Spyware Terminator, Cyberhawk, or ProSecurity Free? I liked ST very much, and although it had IDS like functions and HIPS, I'm still not sure I need it's antispyware signature protection with Firefox. I also liked CH, it ran well and seemed to be the perfect choice for me, but it also seemed to interfere somehow with my wireless internet strength at times. I am currently using PS Free, but as it is in learning mode, all I can say is the System Tray Icon looks cool, and I like the way it is laid out. It also seems to be low on memory usage, but again it's in learning mode so I don't know what to expect when I take it out. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

For real time: CyberHawk or PrevX.
    For on-demand: SUPERAntiSpyware.
    Why not a sandbox?

3. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Duke

Not stayed away too long huh :D

Good news ! For my 2 pennies I'd say Online Armor plus Prevx. If you're novicey like me, steer clear of the 'classic HIPS'

4. duke1959

Had to rub it in, huh Old Monk. LOL. Yeah I am afraid to take PS Free out of learning mode, even though i believe that along with the Wizard used in the installation and three days of learning mode it should be ok. I thought about Prevx or one of the sandbox programs, but decided to choose between the three I mentioned. Take care for now everyone and I'll check in later.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You should be fine with PS free once you learn how to use it. If you've run it in training mode for a while you should get no pop ups when you turn it off unless some changes to your system. SSM free is also a good option.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id choose Cyberhawk, as i dislike pop-ups.

7. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Yep - me too

Just taken SSM out of learning mode ( again !!!) after several days and pop-up after pop-up for progs that have been running all though learning mode.

I seriously do give up on this type of prog.

Duke......... you have been warned. Else you'll be here forever :D :D :D :D

8. pipester

pipester Guest

You can turn off the Windows Security Center alerts. I currently run AVG Anti-Malware, it's sweet!

9. duke1959

I liked having the AS component installed pipester, but it really did cause a slow down when I would reboot. I even began to feel like it slowed my PC down too. I often run Media Player and WordPerfect at the same time, and this may have had some impact on why. So you don't see any Security Alert after reboot with AVG Malware? I know it didn't do it with just the Anitivirus and Firewall installed, or after I added Cyberhawk. I guess I'm also not even sure an AS is needed with Firefox and that's why the question. I actually like Spyware Terminator with all it's different features best, but feel CH may be the happy medium between the three. I guess I'll bite the bullet and take PS Free off of learning mode tonight. If all went well I was thinking about keeping it, but not sure now with Old Monk's warning about this type of HIPS. The sticking point with CH is not being able to reset any warnings it gives. Not the logs, but the number under all the rest og the totals. I'll keep checking in, and hopefully someone can convince me why I should use ST with all it's guards and HIPS enabled, as I do like that program.

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

i use all three already and like spyware terminator the best. I have Zone Alarm Firewall 4.5 and like it too. i uninstall prosecurity and get a blue screen. everything ok but install cyberhawk again. so far it running good with za free and avg free.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

WordPerfect? Is that still around? Is Corel still the owner of the program? :D

12. pipester

pipester Guest

duke1959, I just checked this on my system, yes, I get the AVG antivirus not installed alert on boot up(for just a second, until it loads) by the Windows Security Center if I have alearts enabled, I normally run with these alerts disabled. I too, tried the AVG Security Suite and liked it very much, but the anti-spyware application is implemented differently in the AVG Anti-Malware product and to me, runs alot better then in the suite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2007
  13. duke1959

Thanks pipester, much appreciated. And yes ccsito it is Corel WordPerfect. LOL. All I am trying to do here is settle on the best protection for Firefox. I understand many people believe an AS isn't needed with it, and I tend to agree. which is why I removed AVG AS Component. I just want to have a software capable of detecting any new or unknown exploit in case it would ever happen to FF. I realize it probably won't, so I am also looking for something easy to use and lightweight as well. So far CH seems to fit that bill, but I'm just not sure. ST has IDS capabilities as well as some HIPS capabilities, and CH offers a Behavior Analysis. CH also tested well in the past, but many people swear by ST's RealTime Protection. I guess there's always SSM Free, but I just uninstalled PS Free because I thought it might be overkill for Firefox protection. I'm at the point now where if someone convinced me that AVG AS would be good RealTime protection for Firefox I'd probably install it again. I just wish I knew how good AVG AS's protection really is in RealTime.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  14. WSFuser

between AVG AS and ST, the former offers better protection.

15. duke1959

How is AVG AS better than ST at RealTime protection though?

16. WSFuser

it has better detection.

17. duke1959

I thought with all the Guards ST uses as an IDS plus it's limited but effective HIPS, it would have better RealTime detection than AVG AS does. What makes AVG AS so good in RealTime detection, it's Heuristics? I thought that was only for on demand scans?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.