If you want to be safe from google is it safe to buy a google phone?

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by WYC999, Sep 2, 2022.

1. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

Hello to the forum,

Does anyone have links, or an educated guess how secure the most chipset manufactures for mobile devices are? By safe i mean: FREE from a BACKDOOR for the Company and or Government.

Any evidence, ideas why Qualcom, Samsung, or Google Tensor (from Google Pixel 6on)... Might be better than one another?

Really important topic for me now...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Why backdoor when you have so many natural holes in software and TLA have so many resources to discover and exploit them?

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If you want to be safe from google is it safe to buy a google phone?

Obviously not.

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

dont buy a smartphone, more an ancient nokia 6110/6210/7210 instead.

i mean, you can't expect to have full services without having the vendors support for this and that.

Huawei use harmony os which is google free because of... installing google afterwards means close to fully functional but at least it is not.

the problem is that some people believe some crappy articles in the web and think they know all. BS

you can limit google services, or reduce it to the max in account settings. using a decent ad-blocker may help too. i use adguard premium, but most google services are allowed, otherwise they are definitely broken.

but be sure, that META will track you so much more than google. thats why i run some social media on my independent Xiaomi, firefox is my default browser, the rest of apps is somehow blocked if web is not needed.

5. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

Hi,
    i was more thinking larger here. The signs are more and more that the chipsets might on chip level already be compromised. For example the fisch Intel management engine for pcs.
    That the NSA worked with RSA to build a backdoor into the RSA encryption and tried to weaken encryption standards.

So i was wondering which CHIP Manufacturer for mobiles you trust more or less and why.

It is one thing to say that the google Pixel with Graphene has the overall best security concept - yeah but what if at chip level the secrets are already lost? Maybe that is the reason that google had to build not just their own phone but, their own chipset.

The NSA is used to meddle with hardware decades ago the founded with the German BND the "Crypto AG" and Argentinia lost the war because of "backdoor by design"....

6. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

The answer is not only confidential, but Top Secret.

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

please stop that rubbish aluhelmet thinking without any evidence - meaning by hearing is very questionable.

just buy a phone, rooted, crypted, another OS as from google or Huawei. install some package manager (because no store will work for you).
    or grow up to get a job at NSA or CIA then you might get a job phone which is secured from the rest of world, but not you company.

anyhow, i am out of this, waste of time.

8. Melionix

Melionix Registered Member

Elaborate.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Snowden

10char

10. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

"Meaning by hearing is very questionable". People that can't even read up stuff are always so convinced that their "pro system" "everything is fair of course" idiocy is right. It's so ****** annoying how dumb this people are.
    NSA worked together with the Chief scientist of RSA to build in a backdoor = proven and known official fact. RSA admitted it. Read it up fool.
    NSA tried to weaken other security protocols = proven fact. Read it up fool.
    NSA founded with the german BND the "Crypto AG". Every serious security analyst knows it. Public knowledge for decades now. Read it up fool.

But then those people say you should stop wearing an aluhelmet.... ARRGH!!

11. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

Edit: mistyped it: The Crypto AG was bought by the CIA with the BND not NSA...

12. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

Supposedly Google Pixel's hardware is designed for security, that's why GrapheneOS exists. Also, here is a link to the GrapheneOS Forums. I have a Pixel 5a and use GrapheneOS, I don't have a single thing Google installed, I have found great alternative apps for my needs.

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Nothing is safe from the 3letters. Let's stop pretending.

14. Melionix

Melionix Registered Member

Hiding from the NSA is a very different thing from wanting to minimize the risk of a zero click. I'm convinced GrapheneOS can defend you against the vast majority of malware directed at Android, but I doubt it would stop the NSA from taking over your phone.

If nothing else, the firmware is still insecure garbage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.