If you own a Windows 7 installation CD, do you need to build a boot (rescue) CD?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I do have a WinPE from Paragon that I made on my old XP PC, would that work to boot this 64 bit W7 I built? Back to my original question though, if I did suffer a BSD disaster, can I boot from the W7 CD and restore an image from my external HD. I did install Macrium Free but haven't tried it yet. As an aside, I did test and totally restored the system from an image I made with W7's backup tool. Works pretty good!

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

No you don't need to build a W7 recovery disk ...and although the W7 installation disk has a repair option (which allows for recovery of a W7 backup image and/or a System Restore) it's not going to help you restore your Paragon disk-image. For that you should use Paragon's WinPE boot-disk.

And since you already have Paragon Backup & Recovery I'm curious as to why you are looking at Macrium Free?

TS

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

It's on the XP desktop, not on this new PC. Thank you for the info! I was going to download/install the free Paragon when I discovered it was 130mb compared to Macrium's 30. Every one raves about Macrium here so I thought I'd try it. W7 is kind of lacking in terms of a GUI but did work perfectly as I stated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.