If you have Norton 2009 Internet Security do..........

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by oddworld, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oddworld

oddworld Registered Member

you really need another Spyware / Adware program?

If so what do you recommend ?:rolleyes:

2. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello oddworld;

I have Norton 2009 IS on one of my hard drives and yes, I do employ a second opinion antivirus scanner (Avira free without the real-time guard installed).

I also use Malwarebytes (free) on every install and use a second opinion antispyware application with it, usually the free version of Superantispyware.

No antivirus or antispyware application is perfect; my belief is that a second opinion scanner should be a routine addition to every installation regardless of which primary antivirus and antispyware is used- provided that it has proven to have excellent detection/removal capability and can be configured to not interfere with the primary.

Along with employing multiple scanners, I always set them at maximum detection level. I would far rather deal with the occasional false positive than run the risk of limiting the AV's capabilities.

Just my way of doing things.

3. oddworld

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'll give them a try.

4. oddworld

What about A Squared?

They have a $5.00 deal coming up that looks pretty good.

5. icr

icr Registered Member

I use SAS Free and MBAM with nis 09:thumb:

6. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I have NIS2009 along with Defensewall, Mamutu & SuperAntiSpyware. Thats plenty security, I think ....

7. gery

gery Registered Member

I think there is no need of another Av even without the real time option on. Sometimes the av-s will catch other av as dangerous files or malware so trust the one you have and only get a second opinion with Dr Web and SAS or MBAM
    Norton is doing fairly well recently

8. idbit

idbit Registered Member

Why both Defensewall and Mamutu? Aren't they both HIPS programs that do the same thing? Would they not clash trying to stop the same intrusion?

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

mamutu is an intrution detention system that will alert you for something suspicius and defensewall is a policy base sandbox and applies restriction to malware that is attacking your pc,so defensewall will put malware in a virtual enviorment seperating your system(trusted)from malware(untrusted)making making restriction so malware doesnt damage your pc:D
    note:some times you will get some pop ups for keylogger attacking your keyboard activities

10. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Impressive setup! :thumb:

11. GES/POR

Like you i get easily scared for conflicts under the hood but id actually feel very comforatable with those 2 on board.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

In the past the antivirus vendors were lagging behind typical antispyware programs, and they have been trying to catch up. Some with more success than others.

I think it makes sense to not depend on one vendor alone, and add a good antispyware application (or take completely different actions, like adding a HIPS, virtualization software etc.).

Preferably with real-time protection.

However, I'm not sure what to recommend. SAS is very popular, but I have my doubts. MBAM is also very popular, but the real-time protection offered by the paid version is said to be substandard.

I know plenty of antispyware programs, however, I find that most of them no longer fit my needs (like Spy Sweeper, the software can be dysfunctional and there are ethical/privacy issues).

If someone knows a good antispyware program that is not a resource hog, does not conflict with AVs, is trustworthy and up to the challanges of today I'd like to learn about it !

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm using Threatfire together with NIS 2009 on both XP and Vista, and they get along very well. I think a dedicated behavior blocker, such as Threatfire or Mamutu, is a good addition to NIS.

14. H47

H47 Registered Member

Same here.

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I use the same mix on my gaming machine.

16. vijayind

I think, Jmorge gave an apt and brilliant answer ( as usual ).

My experience:
    They don't clash.

The only possible conflict comes when (say) a program being run as untrusted (in sandbox) by DefenseWall is also detected as malicious by Mamutu. Most of the time this doesn't happen. But rarely some malware samples, being run as untrusted trigger alerts from Mamutu (mostly due to suspicious file layout). In that case you can quarantine with Mamutu, not crash/conflict will occur. ( You will be asked to reboot PC, since DefenseWall was running the process). That's it , no issues :thumb:

17. vijayind

Thanks, but sometimes I think I'm being just too paranoid :doubt: .

18. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I just run NIS09 by itself, i feel it covers all areas well enough for what i need.

19. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I run NIS2009 with Sandboxie and scan every now and then with MBAM and SAS on demand.

20. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I'm running NIS 2009 but, even though it makes for a nice pair of suspenders, I really feel better adding a belt and so I run Trojan Hunter 5 alongside it with both realtime protection and weekly thorough scans.

On top of that, in the case of my 8 and 13 year old sons' machine, I have the system "frozen" using First Defense ISR.

21. GES/POR

Unfortunetly most of us here are but it does gives us somethingh to spend out thoughts and system on. You could easily do with just 2 of those and still have a high degree of security but your probably enjoying them all way too much :argh:

22. GES/POR

I would like to see some testing of TH

23. gery

gery Registered Member

People why in the world should someone who paid for an all-cover suite a bunch of $$$ add some other stuff when Norton is just enough?
    Come on it covers everything and all areas. Now if if you are terribly freaky i would suggest something else , never turn on your computer.
    I had AVG and that was the only protection in my computer along with PcTools FW SAS MBAM and never had any problems. just cookies. No HIPS no BB-s just a simple AV .You are turning this into rocket science .

24. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Not everybody gets everything exactly right going out of the gate. I owned my TH licenses long before I ever purchased ZASS or NIS2009 either one and was only running an AV before AV's even looked for trojans - like 10-12 years ago or some such. I'm sure my setup looks silly to somebody but tough s---, I'm not going to cast aside redundancy if I own it and I'm not going to trust only NIS2009 when I've been gone from Norton wares for 5 years and have only been back for 3 months.

I realize OP has asked for recommendation in their situation and recognize that I responded in the spirit of a "what's your setup?" thread but there are reasons for how people are set up other than just deep paranoia and fanatical obsession with security.

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's debatable what constitutes "enough" security. Malware is getting worse all the time, so it seems prudent to keep evaluating the protection options. Regarding NIS 2009 specifically, I don't know how strong its' behavior blocking component is. I heard that the Norton Antibot technology was only partially implemented, so I added Threatfire to my system. JMHO, YMMV :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.