If you didn't have an antivirus or antitrojan scanner, what would you use?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by FatalChaos, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

What the title says :). Anyone try to be specific with programs, don't just say "firewall" or "anti-executable", and if its not well known, give a short discription.

ProcessGuard
    Kerio 4.2 pro / Outpost 2.7 pro
    Spyware Guard
    Spyware Blaster
    FireFox w/ Script Manager
    File checker (still a newb at this though)
    SafeXp

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Online Armor seems like the kind of product that could defend your computer to a certain degree without have an installed AV. It has execution and registry protection, something that a program would need in order to secure your computer.

3. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I would say ProcessGuard Full/PrevX/ Arovax Shield/ SSM/ WinPatrol/ Spybot Tea Timer et al,!

4. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Deep Freeze, so you could remove the nasties with a reboot.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ProcessGuard full, RegDefend, Online Armor, Spyware Guard, SpywareBlaster, CounterSpy, sandboxie, Firefox with noscript extension, Harden-it, Outpost Pro, MVPS HOSTS file, and Proxomitron. ill also have true image as a last resort.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Since my AVG Free doesn't detect anything, just like NOD32 and KAV, I would uninstall AVG Free without replacement.
    I do/don't do several things, that have nothing to do with security softwares.

ZoneAlarm Free
    MSAS Free, Ad-Aware Free, Spybot Free, A2 Free, Ewido Free
    SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard
    Firefox + Adblock + NoScript (no java, no java scripts either)
    Thunderbird.
    IE-SPYAD, MVPS Hosts.
    CCleaner for history/cookie cleaning
    My DISCIPLINE on the net and computer.

7. abhi_mittal

Sandboxie will be a good free choice in such a case.....but why dont you want to use an AVo_O?
    If you dont wanna pay, there are good free products like Avast and Antivir PE.

8. FatalChaos

Not so much that i don't want to use an av (I use KAV and NOD32), but depending purely on AV's for protection is a bad idea (a thread started by IBK in the other anti-virus forum demonstrates this). So i just want to see what others use.

9. abhi_mittal

No probs, buddy....was just curious!

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My answer to the thread title is LINUX

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Damn, beat me by just minutes.. I was going to say Knoppix :)

If it had to be Windows, though, I would use Look n Stop, system hardening, alternative browser, and Online Armor/Prevx 1/Safe'n'Sec.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

ShadowUser Pro 2.5 can really be used as a single global protection. With a good firewall you can make sure nobody is phoning home and the impact in system resources would be very minimal indeed.

13. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :ninja: My golly!!! *puppy* The possibility w that could be a disaster... :eek:

But I think if one is very careful w what site she/he always visits then no problemo baby. :D

But I think w lots of available freewares nowadays some protective softwares not considered to be as an antivirus or anti-trojan programs was also doing its job in protecting the pc in the same way. ProcessGuard, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol, SSM, even Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta can also prevent and detect some of this nasties. ;)

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Beat me by a day, well that's the time zones for you.
    Linux is a good choice. I'm running Suse 9.3 on a partition, looks good.
    Still, I have both firewall and anti-virus on Linux....
    Mrk

15. abhi_mittal

Brilliant- Linux and Mac are inpregnable!
    Cheers!

16. FatalChaos

MAC's aren't :). and i do run linux on my own pc but i also run windows on other pcs that my family uses.

17. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

why write to the real disk when u can write to the unreal/virtual disk and therefore never ever have to worry about these nasty little virus/script things that sneaks their way in true your port 80...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  18. linuz

linuz Guest

19. ---

if I'm not going to install anything, all these might be sufficient.

Once I have to install any new software, all bets are off.

20. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I would install Common Sense 1.0 before anything. Unfortunately, this can't be installed on all versions of humans :D

I'd also avoid using or visiting any crack sites - bear in mind that the author of the crack can easily include unpleasant surprises as one poster to the DCS ProcessGuard forum noted.

Personally, I use Firefox for all my web surfing except my Online Banking and web access to my Exchange Server (OWA looks awful inside Firefox).

I'm behind a firewall appliance rather than a direct connection to the net with no inbound holes (at home).

I have "Preview" functions turned off inside Outlook express which my wife uses for home email, and I keep OA running while surfing/mailing to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Sometimes, I'll run ad-aware or MSAS - but only after I have been "playing" with strange programs I get sent in the mail.

21. Alantir

Alantir Registered Member

My choices would be:

- Common sense
    - Outpost Pro
    - ProcessGuard full + RegDefend + Online Armor (they complement each other pretty well)
    - Firefox with NoScript extension + Thunderbird
    - Mailwasher Pro to get rid of all junk/spam/unwanted e-mail easily without downloading them all to my machine
    - SpywareBlaster

Alantir

22. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

For me it`s Online Armor + ProcessGuard + RegDefend and last but not least SpywareBlaster. I`d also like the rest, use common sence but I`m not common. :)

23. lupus

lupus Registered Member

I use a limited user account. I am surprised it did not come up in this thread.
    Anything serious i.e. money related is done under Knoppix so i don't really care.

24. ---

Probably cos it's easier to install software that makes it approximiate limited user account :0)

25. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

I would used Acronis PrivacyExpert, SpyBlaster, ProcessGuard, FireFox, Outpost Firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.