If ISP's really want to fight spam, could this be effective?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by HandsOff, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I am actually somewhat serious about this...if it were implimented right...

Apparently spam filters are being beaten by gibberish (see picture - as if anyone needs examples)

My idea is this: I envision this impressive console with screens everywhere, on these screens are the subject lines of emails. And a new tool which has arguably one of the best AI routines every use. Yes I'm thinking actually employing a few human beings who could scan for obvious nonsense, and then repond in any of several ways:

They could enter the subject in to the the database of emails to delete.

They could possible ban the responsible sender completely (maybe)

Obviously, I do not have all the details worked out, but I am sort of an idea man, I usually leave the details for people who like details. Plus in sort of a sentimental way, I am not as firmly opposed to the hiring of an occasional human being as most people are.

Anyone think it might work?

Attached Files:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My Isp is cableone and their spam filters are excellent, I get no spam through them at all. And I hope it stays that way. ;)

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Thats awesome! I have Comcast, which does have a spam filter, and is considered to be relatively tough on spam. However, I would say, based on the times when I need to turn the filter off (if I am expecting an online transaction and don't want to take the chance that it will be mistaken for spam) they only filter about 90%.

I just wonder what it is that makes it so hard to get rid of spam. I have to say up front that spam itself does not bother me. It is easy enough to delete. What has captured my imagination is the questions,

1) has it gotten to the point where browsing and so on might actually be effected by servers being tied up attempting to deliver and / or block spam.

2) do ISP's consider it a problem, or just a PR issue? In other words, could they block it if they really wanted to? I guess if Cableone can do it, i'd have to say that they could.

-HandsOff

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

My ISP uses a top-notch version of SpamGuard (via Postini) which appears to check origin and subject and content. In its quarantine center, each subject line includes a symbol indicating the specific spam category it falls into (sexual, ethnic, get-rich-quick, etc.). And you can individually set each category to several degrees of leniency or strictness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.