If I post a site without a proxy, will google know my ip address for the post I made?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Let's say I went to some random gaming site. I found it using ixquick (not google) and I made a bunch of comments on it with my real ip address (without a proxy). If I don't have scripting disabled by noScript and Google Analysts was able to run, can google still data mine/conduct big data on me even though I found the site without using google? Or is my real ip address only kept in the logs of the web site's servers but not tracked by google?

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

In your case, you accessed a service that is owned by Google (in this case Google Analytics), so they will know the IP (and other kinds of info, like browser headers and so on) you used on that site. What they do with that information, is anybody's guess...

3. DesuMaiden

So if I want to stay truly anonymous when visiting any site I should use Tor and not post any personal info, correct?

I can't believe so many sites are owned by google!! I noticed Google Analytics is popping up everywhere!!!

4. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

You can use NoScript + Request Policy

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Actually, it is a matter of convenience. If you create a site/blog and add Google Analytics to track visitors, you will see that it provides a LOT of useful information. But the information that is available to the site owner can also be used by Google. (I don't know if it is, but the possibility certainly is there).

Fortunately, there are open source alternatives to Google Analytics, but too few site owners are willing to do what it takes to set them up.

6. DesuMaiden

I dislike the Panopticon society Google and other members of the PRISM project are trying to make. I believe the Internet should remain anonymous, and that people should be given the right to privacy. Apparently the USA government doesn't think so, and they are coalesce with mega corporations to brainwash the masses into thinking that there is no need for privacy and anonymity

What's your take on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.