If I may be permitted, sort of a poll

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Acadia, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, if you were looking for a disk imaging program to use on a single computer with three hard drives, two internal and one external, this computer not networked IN ANY WAY with another computer just all by itself, and you only had TWO CHOICES, Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 or ShadowProtect, which would YOU choose, and most important, WHY?

WindowsXP Home, 1gig ram

Thank you!! :)

Acadia

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I would choose ShadowProtect handd down. Did dabble a bit with another Paragon product. Reasons for my choice,

1. Speed of imaging in Windows.

2. Rock solid reliability.

3. Recovery disk compatable with wide variety of hardware.

4. Compression of images outstanding.

5. Basically it seems to work in all areas pretty much as advertised.

Hope it helps.

Gary

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would have to agree, for all the reasons expressed. I have done some torturous things to my disk and recovered with Shadow Protect and it has never failed.

Pete

One other thing. Since SP images and restores track 0 and the mbr, imaging and restoring with FDISR has been a non event both before and after the newest version.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Very interesting ... :thumb:

Acadia

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

heh, with apologies to acadia
    cant let this go by,.....without...
    TERABYTE tools being in the mix.
    Has worked flawlessly well for me and comes with all the other useful tools and can run from PE if req.
    Also able to save and manipulate the mbr, boot options, partitions etc etc.
    Cheap.

HAving said that, I will be looking at SPv3 when it's out.
    :)

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, familiar with Terabyte somewhat, I have studied the manual and/or help screens ... TOO GEEKY, plus I believe that I read somewhere, probably HERE, that Terebyte does not restore track 0 and the mbr, or something like that, I probably did not get that quite right. I want a program that would simply give me my entire old system back, all snapshots, track 0, mbr, exactly as if nothing had ever happened.

But THANKS for the suggestion!

Acadia

7. Longboard

LOL, me :eek:
    Thankyou, I think ;)
    cant ever really be too geeky
    (just off to get new propeller for hat, new flip up sunglasses, and new supply of heavy water just in case).
    Regards.

PS get BING just for partition management. Easy, and I have shifted things around here dozens of times with NO data loss.

8. Peter2150

Hi Acadia

One thing I've done with Shadow protect is taken the system with Rollback installed(as well as FDISR) which for sure modifies the MBR, and restored an image prior to the rollback install. No problems. Like Rollback was never there.

Pete

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'll play blacksheep here and take exception to ShadowProtect by posting a preference for PARAGON DRIVE BACKUP PRO 8.5 due to it's reliability in all areas huntnyc pointed out with the exception of #1 (speed), but for many that alone will not justify it when doing a price comparison between them. PARAGON also saves the MBR btw and the images are pristine and a quite stable mirror image of what was copied. The restores are routine as expected from my experience.

Now for me if theres some real advantage to be gained by ShadowProtect it's that they offer Universal Restore and the SPEED is faster of course.

There are various other features in BOTH that stand out as very useful points worth making. My decision comes from the fact that PARAGON also benefits from a long-time experience in this market & field that ShadowProtect founders can't possibly equal, but they have made great enough strides now in putting themselves firmly on track as a chief player in this market.

With that being said i bite the bit right now and hold my breath to see what the retail offering price is going to be for version 3 which everyone is anticipating including myself with high expectations. :)

10. Longboard

Hmm now that is impressive
    no issues with the file indexing or mbr changes in a 'one click' manouvre : cool
    How does it go the other way: ie Rollback installed and imaged and restored

(I think you did post that somewhere else )

I know that Terabyte does have issues with Rollback indexing when imaging.

11. Peter2150

I haven't tried going the other way. I have no idea what will happen. May have to try it.

What I have done is updatad my FDISR archive from the Rollback snapshot that is my current system. Then I've restored an old SP image that didn't have rollback installed, so my system was Rollback unaware, but out of date. Then updated the primary FDISR snapshot from the archive which was rollback aware. What I ended up with was a primary that had Rollback installed, but it didn't think it was installed since it wasn't in the mbr. I then did an uninstall of Rollback which went nicely, and then reinstalled Rollback and essentially started fresh with it.

Acadia, I don't know if you remember but when I was testing the HIR component of SP, I'd end up restoring a half size image from the other machine on the the desktop I was working on. When done playing I'd them just do a restore of the image I took when I started, and just restored and all back to normal.

Pete

12. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Pete,

What is a "half size image"? I have never heard that term before.

Silver

13. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Shadow Protect for all the positive reasons given by others. Paragon worked for me when tested but was too slow, images too big, messed up drive labels on restore and the emergency disk wouldn't work with my wireless mouse.

14. Peter2150

HI Silver

Not surprised you never heard that term before, neither have I.:D Meant to say I had shrunk the partition to about half size before taking the image on machine a. That is what I put on machine b. with HIR. Then later I restored b. with the original image from b.

Sorry for confusing you.

Pete

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thank you all for your replies, looks like I've got to choose between two good programs, kind of like choosing between NOD and KAV. :D

I've already got two disk imaging programs, but one of them is so old that the company no longer exists, remember PowerQuest? So along with Acronis 9, which I will of course be keeping, I hope to be replacing the PowerQuest with either Paragon or ShadowProtect, now I wonder, which one? o_O

Acadia

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

If you have Acronis 9 why bother with either ? unless you just enjoy trying out new programs for fun.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I just don't believe in putting all of my eggs in one basket, especially when I have the hard drive and storage space for both. Thanks.

Acadia

18. Peter2150

I used to use 4 imaging programs for the same reason. Now it's just one. SP

19. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I hope I get my license key of ShadowProtect BEFORE the trial period is finished. I'm waiting 10 days already. Pffft.

20. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Hmm, concerning long-time experience in this market, you may find it interesting to learn these facts about StorageCraft, makers of ShadowProtect:

StorageCraft's current CTO used to work for PowerQuest where he was the architect of PowerQuest's DriveImage and V2i Protector image based backup products (which were rebranded as Ghost/LiveStateRecovery/BackupExecSystemRecovery by Symantec after Symantec acquired PowerQuest) at the time that they were transformed from DOS-based backup apps to truly enterprise-ready snapshot-based image backup apps. This functionality was so compelling that it was the primary reason that Symantec acquired PowerQuest (I know this because I was in the acquisition party when the Symantec VP announced this fact). But StorageCraft's CTO's pedigree in snapshot-based technologies goes back further than that - prior to working for PowerQuest he worked for Vinca (which was acquired by Legato, which was then acquired by EMC), where snapshot technology was initially invented - and therefore I think it's safe to say that he worked with snapshot technology long before anyone at Paragon. As far as the engineering goes, PowerQuest actually licensed (and to this day the Symantec Ghost products still include) the StorageCraft snapshot device driver, arguably the most important component in a hot image backup app. I too worked at PowerQuest (on the DriveImage and V2i projects) where I was responsible for core aspects of those products. I also worked at Legato on similar projects. When you dig into the history, the folks at StorageCraft have been involved with image-based backup, snapshot, etc, for quite some time. For many years StorageCraft was a tools vender, licensing technologies to other companies (which would wrap them up in product form). For this reason StorageCraft drivers, etc, are found in many products (under the hood), yet StorageCraft doesn't get much recognition for this fact. In the last few years StorageCraft has been transforming itself into a products company, but please don't mistake this to mean that StorageCraft is new to this game. We're not.

21. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

I haven't been monitoring these forums much in the last couple of weeks (was on vacation and have been busy writing code). What's the problem? Did you buy product and haven't been issued a license key? Please PM me the details, and your personal contact information (email, phone, etc) so that I can get this resolved. Thanks!

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would choose paragon.
    it works flawlessly for me.
    the images with paragon are smaller than the ones created with shadow protect desktop.
    trial both and see which one you like best.
    lodore

23. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Acadia, I coudn't agree more about not putting all your backup eggs in the same basket, but I would suggest something different than another disk-imaging program.

Since you already have ATI 9, a good disk-imaging program imho (and I presume it's been good for you), rather than getting another disk-imaging program, why not get yourself a really good file-by-file backup program to complement ATI 9. By doing that, you add even better protection in the event your motherboard goes 'belly-up' and you have to replace it. If that happens, and it can happen to any of us, I believe you will find it easier to restore much of your system with a quality file-by-file backup program than with disk-imaging software.

Just my 2-cents worth. ;)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I didn't mean to rub anyone the wrong way but you must also admit that StorageCraft over the years hasn't wore out any shoes to push THAT information to the surface for the general public unless some of us simply been asleep at the wheel.

So i can stand corrected as to do with individuals who make up some of the development team there but PARAGON GROUP obviously is overshadowed StorageCraft in the PR department as well as Imaging Solutions as a whole, and that's basically what comparison i was driving at, and not so much developer's experience; but whichever is more attractive/beneficial over the years for users i might agree with that view from the mix of Symantec and PowerQuest originators.

ShadowSurfer/User was really my first introduction to anything ShadowStar/Craft to begin with from those virtualization apps.

After very sad experiences with BOTH Acronis & Ghost (Symantec) PARAGON was highly recommended to me as reliable, and that's exactly what i found in them compared to all others.

25. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Gotta go with Paragon. I was a longtime user of PowerQuest Drive Image before the Symantec buy-out. I loved the program. That's interesting about the connections with some of the people at StorageCraft, but honestly, I find Paragon more like the old PowerQuest than the Shadow Protect application. It wins for ease-of-use as well (at least for me). I tried both extensively (along with IFW) and found Paragon a solid, reliable program that confirmed their reputation. It is one of my five or six "must-have" applications that make my computing experience much smoother.

Genady

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.