iexplore.exe

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ZenZen, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZenZen

    ZenZen Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    Posts:
    8
    Hello everyone, I hope this is the right section of the website for my question.

    I have noticed these last few nights that iexplore.exe in task manager has been running sometimes 50-75% of my CPU and at 250000K or even more, often there can be more than one instance of teh iexplore.exe lsited, but I haev read that this is quite common. If I close the IE down and re-open it will start of low but gradually work it's way back up to quite high levels. Last night the fans where kicking on on the PC. I am running XP home edition and have scanned with NOD32, MBAM, Spybot etc. nothing found.

    Any ideas what could be causing this? I think I will uninstall IE8 and re-install it just to see if that helps. A friedn has asked if I checked for "bootkits" - can anyone shed any light on what this is, or if this could be responsible?

    Thanks in advance for any help and assistiance.

    Regards,
    ZenZen
     
  2. philby

    philby Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    Posts:
    940
    Hi ZenZen

    Do you see the same result if you run IE with no add-ons?

    Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
     
  3. ZenZen

    ZenZen Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    Posts:
    8
    Hello Philby, with add-ons disabled that has greatly reduced the iexplore.exe memory and CPU usage.

    I am not to "savvy" with most of the items enabled, so here's a list of what is enabled for you to look at:


    Name Shockwave ActiveX Control
    Publisher Adobe Systems Incorporated
    Status Enabled
    File date 02 February 2011, 13:55
    Version 11.5.9.620

    Name Shockwave Flash Object
    Publisher Adobe Systems Incorporated
    Status Enabled
    File date 11 February 2011, 15:34
    Version 10.1.53.64

    Name Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24
    Publisher Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    Status Enabled
    File date 27 February 2011, 10:37
    Version 1.6.0.24

    Name Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24
    Publisher Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    Status Enabled
    File date 27 February 2011, 10:37
    Version 1.6.0.24

    Two exact same Java Plug-ins? Are both required

    Name XML DOM Document
    Publisher Microsoft Corporation
    Status Enabled
    File date 14 June 2010, 07:41
    Version 8.100.1052.0

    Name Microsoft Silverlight
    Publisher Microsoft Corporation
    Status Enabled
    File date 29 January 2011, 00:18
    Version 4.0.60129.0

    Name Groove Folder Synchronization
    Publisher Microsoft Corporation
    Status Enabled
    File date 12 February 2009, 14:19
    Version 4.2.2.2807

    Name Research
    Publisher Microsoft Corporation
    Status Enabled
    File date 06 March 2009, 03:04
    Version 12.0.6423.0

    Name Spybot-SD IE Protection
    Publisher Safer Networking Ltd.
    Status Enabled
    File date 26 January 2009, 14:31
    Version 1.6.0.0
    Load time 0.14 s

    Name Discuss
    Publisher Not Available
    Status Enabled
    Version 6.0.2900.5512


    May I ask if there are any of the abuve that would not really need enabled? Also the Discuss one above, do you know what that refers to?

    I take it disabling a few of these will definitely alleviate my issues by the looks of it?

    I also reset my IE browser instead of re-installing which seems to have helped.

    Thanks for your assistance,
    ZenZen
     
  4. philby

    philby Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    Posts:
    940
    The 'Discuss' add-on is an MS thing that allows people to converse directly on a web-page, I think. I'd disable it...

    The 'Groove' add-on is also an MS thing - something to do with work-space collaboration. You could kill that one too...

    Re. the Java - I would disable one of them and then test Java still works, here.

    If the problem persists, I'd disable the Spybot add-on, though I imagine you're reluctant to do this, given that it's probably part of your chosen security set up...
     
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  5. ZenZen

    ZenZen Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    Posts:
    8
    Thanks again Philby, I've disabled one of the Javas and the test link worked fine, I'm completely up to date with Java.

    Also disabled Discuss and Groove, it was connected to Research, so it is now disabled too. All seems to be still working fine and I must say iexplore.exe usage has dramatically dropped, even with Spybot still running as a BHO.

    Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and hopefully resetting my IE8 and disabling some of these add ons has done the trick!

    Cheers,
    ZenZen :thumb:
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.