ie9 will require users to have win7 sp1 installed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not a big deal, it forces users who want IE9 to keep their stuff updated. There shouldn't be any excuses to have outdated, possibly insecure software, not now. Businesses need to stop being let off the hook, what's good for home users is good and even more important for them. Perhaps this is sort of a message to businesses saying "You know what, you've groaned long enough, we're moving away from XP and other outdated systems and software, and that is that.".

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i dont see this as negative in any way

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

IT WILL NOT REQUIRE SP1.

It is a misunderstanding from the Microsoft website which has been fixed.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

THAT I consider a negative. They should force the issue.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. This TechNet's Internet Explorer 9 Beta FAQ for IT Professionals states:

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Meh. It's going to ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ some people, me included, but I guess I can understand why this is overall a good thing...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  8. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

It would have been better if SP1 for WIn7 installed IE9 automatically with it . I understand that some might prefer IE8 but IE9 is a great improvement over previous versions , it also contains "Compatibility mode" so I think it won't be a big problem for anybody - just transfering more people to the new technology.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Again, it will NOT require SP1.

Source

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

elapsed, I understand what you are saying, however, as of the time of this post, the TechNet FAQs still contains what I quoted, and this TechNet Recommendations page also states:
    Yes, your Source states: "additional operating system components are included as part of the installation of Internet Explorer 9. Those “additional operating system components” will be part of Windows 7 SP1." so there's no need to wait for SP1, yet it looks like Microsoft needs to clarify/update TechNet's conflicting statements.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. The TechNet FAQs have been updated:
    And the Recommendations page no longer includes the paragraph I quoted. All is well. :)

12. fsr

fsr Registered Member

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed. It's a good idea to be cautious with updates and service packs to avoid unforeseen problems, but over all we need them! Avoiding updates is like not running security software because you're afraid it might cause problems (duh!)

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i for one think its a good thing it will not require sp1. a lot of my customers will not update to sp1 by themselves. i have people who have vista still without vista sp1 till i go there and see they dont have it then ill install it for them but they tell me they didnt want problems while trying to do it themselves so they just avoid it. thats not the only scenerio but its one of mine where i would hope they done force it on people..

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't see what the problem is if they did force it. Anyone who hasn't updated with a SP probably won't give a ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ about IE9 either, when 8 works fine. I think it's a good thing for MS to insist on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.