IE9 reaches 22%, Chrome overtakes Firefox on win7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

4762_image_thumb_0AABA314.png

5556_image_thumb_7F628ED6.png

http://windowsteamblog.com/ie/b/ie/...9-on-windows-7-passes-30-share-in-the-us.aspx

2. fsr

fsr Registered Member

It would be interesting to see results regionaly but i am not surprised w Chrome taking 2nd place - you really need specific reason to use firefox these days. Not only that, one thing that bothers me with Firefox is development adding or removing features abruptly, like all the changes they did on url bar, that crippled it, not to mention systematic broken addons, no process isolation, etc. But I have faith current Firefox current development cycle, in my JS benchs I am getting better performance than Chromium 16.x and FF milestones sure look promising :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  3. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Not surprising really; Chrome really is a fantastic, secure browser. And with its app store growing by the day, the reasons for sticking with Firefox are becoming less and less.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm not really attacking you, but, once again, something is used against Firefox that Chrome itself does. Folks hated the switch to rapid release, but nobody minds Chrome doing that. The Firefox UI gets switched around a lot, people hate that, yet no one says a word about Chrome doing the same thing just about every release.

Firefox needs to stop being Chrome, that's what is really wrong. The best way to beat your competition is by being better than it, not copying everything you possibly can off of it. On the flip side of that, I personally don't think Chrome would have reached the popularity it has now without extensions.

I support both browsers, but I get a little tired of Chrome being used so much as a lab project, and a little tired of seeing Firefox being changed into a less secure Chrome clone. That basically leaves IE, which, for all the other progress it has made in security, for some odd reason still insists on Active X, and for a problem plagued plugin like Flash to boot. And it leaves Opera, who, honestly, I'm not even certain they know what they should be doing, let alone their users.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That really was/is their biggest mistake recently.... They were fine till they started doing that. Kinda sad to see it happen. However, I do use by FF and Chrome myself, about equally nowadays.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

None of the offerings are innocent of it, really. Even IE got into it a bit by taking the "less is more" route.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, too true. Everyone sorta jumped in on the Chrome bandwagon...

8. elapsed

I'll try not spin this into yet another ActiveX debate but... what? ActiveX has changed over the years (default security settings increased), you do realize it is currently no worse than Firefox's NPAPI right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

edit: Anyway when the "pluginless browser" time arrives you can worry less.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

My intention wasn't to start up an Active X argument either. I admittedly have not kept up with all of these kinds of changes (mostly because my non-techie brain doesn't get it :D ). I just know how Active X has been a source of problems in the past. I remember all the horror stories, I wasn't aware things had changed drastically.

10. fsr

fsr Registered Member

First i'd like to say I'm not a native english speaker so sorry in advance for any typo, etc. Not sure you know what problem I'm specifically refering to since this wasn't much publicized but it has to do with running JS from urlbar. I have always considered Firefox urlbar much more powerful and fully featured than Chrome. Yet, after all these years, Mozilla decided that 'average joe' has no use it, so it doens't need it hence they no longer support it - that's ridiculous! I have a huge collection of bookmarklets that nowadays is just to cumbersome to run! Plz fix this back Mozilla!
    I'm just speaking of my own private and ego-centric interests, not really sure what problems enterprises face nowadays, but I imagine it's a big deal
    Chrome UI is quite stable, I haven't experienced the trouble you refer to except for some startup switches. But are you comparing Firefox stable release with Chrome Dev?

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I reckon this would make a great bumper sticker! Hopefully the guys at Mozilla will notice it then. ;)

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Your English is fine :) I wasn't aware of that specific URL bar issue, no. I have, however, noticed many complaints about the UI in general and the tweaking going on. That's why I mentioned Chrome not receiving the same complaints, although they too did these same things. Enterprises are going to have trouble no matter what any vendor does, simply because they refuse to switch to applications that don't require a certain browser or any other very specific, non-negotiable requirement. Their bottom line often comes before security these days as well, which, while sometimes understandable, just can't happen these days.

As far as Chrome, I've always taken issue with it being treated like it was still in Google Labs. It is always being experimented on, little UI tweaks are being made here and there with almost every release. In my own opinion, Google is just unnecessarily messing with it, though, we're talking about a company with the attention span of a small child, so I guess it's expected :D

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Doubtful. Mozilla seems to have decided on the road it will take.

14. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Enterprises have trouble with constant updates because it's impossible to administrate. You start having half your staff on one update and half the staff ont he other and that's just if you're lucky. More like 1/3rd on 3.x, 1/3rd on 5, and 1/3rd on 6.

It would be one thing if they forced updates but they don't. As a system admin that's a huge pain to deal with.

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, this road & it's driving me crazy. o_O

16. Hungry Man

Slightly OT but the pepflash in Chrome is PPAPI and more secure than NPAPI, right?

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI#PPAPI, Chromium (I assume Chrome as well) can use PPAPI.

Edit: This option is supposedly in about:flags

18. Hungry Man

These are the default settings. It seems that the top one is both a higher version and it's "papflashplayer.dll" instead of "gcswf32.dll"

Attached Files:

19. elapsed

Not really. The goal of PPAPI as stated by Wikipedia is "This extension is designed specifically to ease the implementation of out-of-process plugin execution".

Basically you can make it more secure by isolating the separate process, but the main intention of PPAPI is running plugins in separate processes.

20. Hungry Man

I see. But in Chrome's case this does come with security benefits.

I think the difference between the two (in above picture) is just version.

21. elapsed

ppapi.png

Sounds more like they are doing it for crash protection than anything else, unless the flash process is placed into that specific process's sandbox.

22. Hungry Man

I saw that about:flags. I don't really "get" it. Why would you want to run it in the renderer process? I guess if there are crashes or something.

But it should still be more secure if it's sandboxed by itself rather than in the renderer... I would think.

23. elapsed

If you had multiple instances of flash open, they could in theory access each other if they are all in 1 plugin process. Though I have no idea why that would matter if the process itself is sandboxed, which brings me back to crash protection.

24. Hungry Man

I guess I'm unclear as to what the "renderer process" entails.

25. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Firefox's major source of success has always been their extensibility (add-ons), yet in times of drastic internal changes due to the benchmarking addicted nerds who score browsers this way, their extensibility has become an Achilles heel. They are unable to make major changes because of it, and have to evade into taking away tiny things (their users where used to) in order to gain some milliseconds here & there. Their focus is way too much "Get rid of everything Chrome doesn't have).

These declining results for FFx where to be expected, while Mozilla is focusing on stuff like rotating text and boxes so to speak, Google is working hard on the bare basics, the things that are *really* of importance for the average Joe.

Once Chrome's addons will have the same flexibility, Firefox can start competing with Opera.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.