IE8 download update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

As you probably read in my other thread, I ran a new IE in order to recover the little dog search in the start menu. All fine, but for some reason although I downloaded IE8, I find that I have IE7 installed. It all works great and I am perfectly satisfied even though I got 7 instead of 8.

The only problem is that every time I open my PC I get a Windows update icon on my tray. When clicking it, I am bombarded with MS wanting to update my IE7 to IE8. No sweat, I play ball, but the Download screen just stays there doing what it believes is right and never finishes. I have to crash it out to get rid of it. It would stay there for ever.

Then when I log on again, up comes the Windows icon and it all repeats.

The Download never finishes, I crash it out, then back it comes next time.
    The damned thing will not leave me alone.
    Screen shot :-

IE8 install - loading.JPG

Any clues ?

Task Manager says it is in a "Not Responding" mode every time I try it and I have to "End Task"
    John

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello again John

How about running the auto-fixit from MS to reset Windows Update and then see what happens?

Worth a shot!

philby

3. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Ooops its XP
    Have you tried downloading IE8 on its own and then installing

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Hey Philby - IT WORKED !!

What a brilliant piece of advice you gave. How on Earth do you keep tabs on these tweaks and bits of sheer wisdom ?

Anyway, after playing your Auto-Fixit by MS, I loaded the IE8 package, followed the Wizard and WHOOSH ! it went like a dream.

I really don`t know how to thank you enough. It always amazes me how such piffling little matters can pose a mountain of unknown frustration and a complete clag-up to people like me who are not stupid, but totally blocked until somebody like you comes along with a life-belt.

AND to bore the pants off our Mods - where would users like me be without Wilders ?

Thank you
    John

DavidCo - please note. Problem solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.