IE7 vs IE8 or IE9 on Vista 64-Bit

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gonwk, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi folks,

My laptop has Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, 64-Bit and it came with Internet Explorer 7, I believe.

Now I am avoiding upgrade to IE8 or IE9 since I happen to come across posts on different Forums complaining about their problems with IE8 or IE9 ... and since my laptop did Not come with installation cd's ... I am hesitant to upgrade to IE8 ... then if I want to go back to IE7 ... i might not be able to.

I use Orbit 4.0.5 with IE7 and works like a charm. I wonder if it would work with IE8 or IE9 alos?

Now I saw an entry by some guy who knows his Security Stuff on different forum ... and he suggests that IE7 should be upgraded to IE8 since IE7 is NOT Secure anymore.

Q1: Should I upgrade from IE7 to IE8 or even IE9? For Security reason?

Q2: Would all websites on the net be able to work with IE9?

Q3: Does anyone know if Orbit would work with IE9?

Thanks!

G! :)

2. guest

guest Guest

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Not in my experience, some don´t work even in compatibility mode. Firefox is my secondary browser, I use it in these cases.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

My notebook has Vista HP (SP2) 32 bit & I upgraded to IE 8 from IE 7 when it was released. When IE 9 was released I had some problems & just uninstalled the upgrade/update in Control Panel Updates, in which case it just returned to IE 8.

5. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi folks,

@ guest ... Thanks for the Links, I will check them out ... appreciate the help.

Q1: guest ... just out of "Curiosity" which Browser do you use!?!

@ Robin A. ... Thanks for your reply.
    Robin, I had to install FireFox the other day since I was trying to run ESET Online Virus Scanner ... for the life of me I could Not get IE7 accept the ActiveX installation ... and I was running as Admin.

So, I installed FF 6.0.2 ... I am a Total Novice with FF ... to me it doesn't seem as intuitive as possible ... I need to check out some YouTube guides or some other guides on how to use it "Properly".

Q2: Robin ... what Add-Ons do I have to have on FF to run it "Safely"?

@ Daveski17 ... Thanks Daveski! So, seems like you are "Happy" with IE8.

OK guys after I look over the 2 Links guest suggested ... looks like I am going to take the plunge into IE8 and IE9.

Appreciate the Help again!

6. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
  7. Daveski17

To be honest, I don't have much of a choice, as IE 9 gave me some problems with my desktop icons & sidebar gadgets. I know other people who have had problems with their sidebar after trying to run IE 9 on Vista.

As for making Firefox (or SeaMonkey) safer, try these:

ABP

WOT

NoScript

Certificate Patrol

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Just make a disk image beforehand, then upgrade to the latest and greatest.

9. Daveski17

I've considered upgrading my notebook to Win 7 but apart from the IE 9 problem its working fine. I never really use IE anyway. Maybe I'll get around to upgrading.

10. NRProia

NRProia Registered Member

Hello,

If you stay with IE7, be sure to check out this add-on:

IE7Pro
    http://ie7pro.com/

It's abandonware but does add a lot of new features including ad-blocking to IE7 for free.

Regards,

Nathan

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

On Vista 64-Bit, IE7?, IE8? or IE9? o_O

If you care about Security, IE9 :thumb: ... ;)

12. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Agreed.

13. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi folks,

Thank YOU All for your replies.

Like someone on a first date ... who is worried and concerned ... I installed IE8 first ... played with it few minutes ... and it felt OK ... and then my Windows update asked me to install 3 Security updates to IE8 ... which I did ... then after reboot I went ahead and installed IE9 ... whey ....

Aside from feeling a little dizzy because the Controls of the IE9 is a located in a different location compare to IE7 which I have been using for the past 3 years ... the IE9 looks pretty good so far to me.

What it bugs me about it is whenever I open a New Tab ... it shows to me the last several places I have been to ... so much for Privacy ... then I notice a shortcut that it says I can Turn On the "In Privacy" thingy.

Q: Does anyone know how to turn it on kind of Permanently so I don't have to do it every time?

@ guest ... any reason that you use "Portable" version of FF!?!?

@ Daveski ... THANKS for the Add-Ons friend!

@ NRPoria ... NRP, I did see that before but I was Hesitant to try ... I thought it might be a Trojan of some sort.

@ J_L ... what do you suggest for Disk Imaging? BTW, is there a Decent Freeware?

@ Mr.PC & Ade 1 ... Thanks for the vote of confidence in IE9 ... I feel much better ... Security is my Main Concern ...

Appreciate all of the Help folks,

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  14. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If security is your main concern IE9 is the one for you (at least out of the ones in the topic title.)

15. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi folks,

I just found out I don't like this "In-Privacy" thingy ... since when I click on it ... it also does away with my Orbit downloader bar ... which I rather keep.

G!:)

16. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There may be a way to enable it in the inPrivacy mode. I know you have to enable extensions for Chrome's incognito mode.

17. guest

guest Guest

- Already comes with some performance tweaks;
    - Easier to install/uninstall/manage/update - integration with PortableApps.com Platform;
    - Can use (or install) it whenever I want, just have to be with my memory stick;
    - No restrictions whatsoever. Even the internal FX updater works.

18. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi folks,

@ Hungry Man ... Thanks ... I'll poke around IE9 ...

@ guest ... Thanks ... I think i will download it on a stick also ... just in case I am over someone's house and need the FF version.

Thanks,

19. moontan

moontan Registered Member

just click on the little gear icon at upper right, then Manage Addons, then enable the plugin you want.

20. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi Moontan,

You are The Best ... Thanks!

G!:)

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

You are welcome, gonwk :thumb:
    Be Safe! :)

23. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IE is not my primary browser but if it was, I would always use the latest and greatest. Because it is always the safest...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.