IE to Start Automatic Upgrades across Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I may be missing something but I don't get how this is different. If you have automatic updates on you are already on the latest browser unless something went wrong. There are monthly security updates, which already include IE updates pretty much every time. Sometimes more frequently. Unless they accelerate the development schedule to be more like Chrome/Firefox, which I don't think they are doing and hope they are not... what is different? As far as I know, there will still not be IE 9 for XP, or 10 for Vista. Likely there will not be newer than IE 10 for Windows 7/8 next year. It feels like they are trying to give the impression they are keeping pace with other browsers while not much is really happening. Again, unless I missed something... which does happen. :ouch:

2. guest

guest Guest

The difference is the automatic upgrade (installation). People with Automatic Updates enabled won't have to "Agree > Next > Next...." :p. The latest IE version available for the supported OS will just automatically install.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I know it'll never happen. And, I know the day will come that it just won't be reasonable to rebuild this old machine any more and I'll have to leave my beloved xp behind. I dread it happening, but know it's inevitable.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I teach people with special needs & personality disorders. You just kinda remind me of some of my students when they are having a tantrum. My 'argument' is a strawman that you have invented. It is your argument.

Again, you seem to think that your version of what I said makes any kind of sense. I don't think, & have never actually stated, that I believe that millions of people should have outdated browsers. This is just disingenuity on your part.

What I believe, as someone who appeared quite educated & intelligent stated earlier, Microsoft & other companies can't possibly know everyone's system & I personally don't think forced updates are necessarily the answer. I don't know why or if millions of people actually surf with an outdated version of IE. I don't know why they don't just download Firefox or Chrome (or other) instead.

You're just misrepresenting what I said for your own ridiculous, & quite frankly, puerile reasons.

You can troll or bait me as much as you want about this & you can misrepresent what I have said as much as you want. In fact, you can conscript an entire army of strawmen & march them up & down at regular intervals for all I care!

I have stated what I believe. :cool:

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Wow I think that's the most accusations and personal insults I've ever seen in a post, under some delusional view that "I'm out to get you". This discussion is over.

6. Daveski17

7. Daveski17

Yes I've heard of the blocker tools. I may investigate this more. Thanks.

8. niki

niki Registered Member

You're welcome.
    That info shows in both Microsoft links on the very bottom of each page and both fix it (Blocker Tools) will be available for both IE8 and IE9. Microsoft links for IE8 and IE9 Blocker Tools are in my previous post.

9. Daveski17

OK thanks, I appreciate it. :thumb:

10. guest

guest Guest

"I'll have to leave my beloved xp behind. I dread it happening, but know it's inevitable."

WHY, will it just quit working, I thought many times about going back
    to Win 2000, may or may not do it one day, I thought about just getting away
    from Windows entirely

I guess I just do not believe security can be done in a OS
    as soon as a new one is released someone will hack it "sooner or later"

That is the reason I firmly believe in imaging programs,
    the trick is to know IF you are INFECTED

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Win 2000 was a rock solid offering :thumb: XP won't just "quit", it will simply stop being supported with security updates. That's bad news, yes, but, if I think about it long enough, I don't think there is anything left in XP to hack or break. If it could be bypassed in XP, or straight up broken, it's 99% likely it has already happened. So, one could say that if you're protected from the threats already out there, you're likely to sooner or later end up with "security by obscurity". There will come a time soon enough that the world moves on to Win 7 or moves over to Linux. Once that happens, you'll probably be ignored, minus the always present plugin/software vulnerabilities.

I don't know any hacker personally that salivates at the thought of "pwning" someone on Win 98 :D Do I suggest to "wait it out"? No. Windows 7 is an overall fantastic OS, and people really should move to it. If not that, you always have Linux as an option, provided it can do what you need it to, and do it well.

As far as security in an OS, I'm on the fence about it. Yes, it can be done, and somewhat effectively. On the flip side of that, "built in" security is the first thing attackers aim their sights on, and the first thing that gets in the way of, and, is the first thing our dear, not so bright average user will shut off the moment it gets in their way. There is no clear answer to security. We can talk about the most "bulletproof" ways there are all day long, but, when more people start using them, those measures will start failing as well. It's the nature of the beast really, there's not much that can be done.

12. Daveski17

A work colleague of mine has just gone through a messy divorce. His wife took the good computer & he has reactivated an old box running XP until he can get another computer.

He is using avast! (freeware) as an AV. I think he's used Chrome & is familiar with it, & I told him it's probably the safest browser out of the box. I have suggested using WOT, SpywareBlaster (obviously for if he has to use IE 8 as it doesn't do anything for Chrome), SAS (freeware) & maybe a look at a freeware firewall like Outpost or something. Money is tight for him at the moment, so it will have to be freeware. What else do you suggest?

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Honestly I'd dump SAS and stick MBAM on. I'd also dump SpywareBlaster as it's going to do very, very little against real threats out there. I mean no disrespect towards either product, but SAS has been going downhill for some time, and SpywareBlaster has about the same usefulness as Spybot these days. Outpost or Online Armor are both good choices for firewalls, if he feels he really needs one (being behind a router and keeping your system clean pretty much makes software firewalls not very needed.).

You know what though? Steer him towards the freebie Sandboxie. He doesn't need to go all out with explicit, complicated settings to get 90+% protection out of it, and if something does go wrong, it's as easy as shutting down the sandbox and starting over. Other than those suggestions, I really don't have much else. Perhaps if he feels like it, he could maybe add EMET. There is very little setup, and it basically stays out of the way. With Sandboxie, it may not be that needed, but it won't hurt him.

14. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the advice. I originally didn't suggest MBAM because I personally had quite a few false-positives with it. You've got me worried about SAS now as I use the on-demand version. It found a trojan once & I've always trusted it ever since. You're probably right about SpywareBlaster though. However, I still run it on my notebook. I'm pretty sure he has a router so I thought a software firewall might be a bit superfluous.

I don't think he would be too comfortable with something like Sandboxie, he was surprised enough when I showed him WOT & Ghostery on the Iron portable. In fact, he was intrigued by the fact you could run a browser from a thumbdrive. He'd never seen it before. He knows even less about computers than I do, & that's saying something. I mean LibreOffice was a revelation to this bloke! I'll mention EMET to him, just as soon as I found out what it is. ;)

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I never use IE. I never upgrade it. Haven't since mid to late 90's. Haven't had an issue because I haven't used IE.

Auto-upgrade is a good thing for the majority IMO.

However, having had to fix a few rigs which auto-updated, after a patch really botched things, has led me to believe that an easy opt-out should be required. If you make a living with your PC daily, it might be better to wait an extra week to make sure that latest and greatest don't have issues before applying them.

Sul.

17. Daveski17

I never really use it, maybe IE Tab, but very rarely. I keep it as up to date as I can. Like I've said, I can't upgrade to IE 9 on my notebook.

Yes, an easy opt-out would be a good solution if there are going to be forced upgrades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.