IE-SPYAD

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikguy, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

I know that Eric Howes often visits Wilders so I thought I'd post here. In the IE-SPYAD readme file it says that a number of XP users report that there is a Registry Editor crash when trying to install the protection file. He says that the reason is not entirely known. I also noticed that he claimed that the Windows directory is under \Winnt I deduced that he must be using Windows 2000 because that is not the case here on XP (\Windows). I'm not familiar with W2k and the version of the Registry Editor that is used there but I know that XP uses version 5. I noticed upon opening his reg file the top of it read "Regedit4". When I export a registry key it gives me two options: a reg file compatible with (9x, ME, NT4) and one that isn't. When I export a 9x reg file the top of it reads "Regedit4" and a non 9x file reads "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00". I was just wondering if this is the issue.

Feedback? Corrections?

erikguy

Attached Files:

2. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

erikguy:

Thanks for the suggestion. When I was working on this issue earlier this year with some WinXP users, we did try a version of IE-SPYAD that was exported with a more recent version of RegEdit. The crashing persisted.

This appears to be a random problem that we still don't fully understand.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

3. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

You're welcome, Eric. I'm just trying to help out. Another thought comes to mind....

Maybe just the sheer size of the registry file might cause the crashing especially on older, less powerful systems? Could that be ruled out as a possibility? Or a combination of the 2 factors?

Regards,
    erikguy

4. MUZAK24H

MUZAK24H Guest

Info: You can't deduce this always... The XP ( %system% ) folder is called "winnt" after an upgrade from NT4 or win2k. On fresh install, it is "windows" like 9x and ME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.