IE SPYAD

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dog, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

I Haven't used IE SPYAD yet, so this may be a dumb question (although I have just D/L the latest release).

My Question is does it block updates from Windows Update http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    Because it blocks activeX and scripting? Or is it config to allow this, or is there some other work around?

From IE-SPYAD http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm
    Thanks in advance

Dog *puppy*

2. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I am also using IE -spyad, and have been using it for some time and have found no problems in receiving windows updates or downloading them from the official windows site.
    I also have my firewall set to block activeX controls and all java applets and have no problems with downloads either.

The Mul

3. dog

dog Guest

Thanks the mul

I'll give it a go then! :D

dog *puppy*

4. the mul

the mul Registered Member

You are quite welcome and have a nice day.

The Mul

5. Nick

Nick Registered Member

IE Spyad only lists sites to put in your Restricted Zone. Make sure you go into the Restricted Zone settings and disable or set to prompt everything. Since none of the Microsoft update sites are in IE Spyad, they will follow whatever settings you have for the Internet Zone.

Also, if you have more than one user or profile on your computer, then you will need to check for each one and install IE SpyAD for each one.

6. dog

dog Guest

Thanks for the tip Nick

But only one account ... My better half has PC allergy. ;)

dog *puppy*

7. taperino

taperino Registered Member

Re: IE SPYAD Chng default settings to install latest?

Hi,

In the directions for IE-SPAD it says to uninstall old first. And Reset all previously set securities.

Can't I leave the security settings as instructed in first install?

Do I need to change the security settings back to default, and then put in latest software?

Thanks so much!

Taperino

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re: IE SPYAD Chng default settings to install latest?

Actually, resetting the Restricted zone's security to the default levels is merely an optional step when you are uninstalling or upgrading IE-SpyAd. You do not need to do that. In fact, the recommended settings (everything set to disabled or set to high safety, when disabled is not an option) is always good for the Restricted zone because it makes it as secure as possible. Even people removing IE-SpyAd permanently could leave the Restricted zone set as tight and secure as possible.

Uninstalling the previous version is recommended mainly because from time to time a site's status may change - sometimes it turns out that a site that was included in IE-SpyAd is not all bad. Sometimes a main site is blocked but in a later version of IE-SpyAd Eric reduces that, removes the main domain and just restricts one or more specific sub-domains... Uninstalling IE-SpyAd for each upgrade ensures that you get exactly the list of restricted sites that Eric recommends, as that list evolves.

9. taperino

taperino Registered Member

Thank you very much for your help.

Taperino

10. mulangi

mulangi Registered Member

Hi Nick,
    I found those little snippets very valuable! Thanks.

I've only just "rediscovered" IE-Spyad and being a newbie I'm trying to get a better understanding of a few things.
    Some applications put sites in the resticted zone and some put sites in the Hosts file. I'm wdering what are the pros and cons of each.

Can you help?
    Thanks
    -M-

11. mulangi

mulangi Registered Member

Re: IE SPYAD - hosts and Restricted Zone

Sorry Nick/folks, I've just got round to reading the user guide. I've found the answer to my question. :oops:
    -M-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.