IE-spyad or IEspyad2?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bigbuck, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hi,
    Can someone please explain to dummy here, which I need.
    I DL'd both and read the page http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm
    My wife and I have seperate log ons on this one machine. I use FF exclusively (except for windows/office updates) and "she who must be obeyed" uses IE (regardless of my constant warnings).
    SO........it's mainly for her. Do I install 1 or 2? Do I install it logged on as her or me?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Dumbuck.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the way i understand it is- iespyad2 covers more places in the registry to make sure both accounts are covered. so if you want it too, install iespyad2, or just install iespyad on her account. :)

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

You're really only adding one reg.file. You could load them seperately for each user from the same zip (unless you're using the install.bat file). I'm solo on my ship Buck, but if you can accomplish the install to both from the original SpyAds, you may be better off. I only say this because of the different browsers and possible side-effects....
    Thought's?

GF

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

if there is more than 1 user then use IESpyad2

there is no point in installing it twice unless you wnt to edit certain sites for certain users

and install from your account so you can change or uninstall easily

5. bigbuck

Thanks guys,
    What concerned me most on their web page, was stuff like this;
    1.IE-SPYAD2 (which is downloaded in IE-SPYAD2.ZIP and IE-SPYAD2.EXE) should be used only if there is a compelling need to do so (see below for more information).
    2.Most users should use the original version of IE-SPYAD.
    Thanks,
    Buck.

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi Buck - I am personally staying with the regular IE-Spyad. The #2 version, for me, I feel is not needed.

7. bigbuck

Thanks everyone!
    I suppose I will just have a go at 2.......I'll just make sure that I have a good ghosted image on my backup HDD before I do........Don'y really fancy system restore much anymore.....I have squillions of DL'd apps, but I am very cautious about which ones I install.....I like to do my homework first!.......Backup HDD, best $200 I've ever spent!!
    Cheers all,
    Buck.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There are some important points I'd like to make and correct some info shared.

1)Both IE-Spyad and IE-Spyad2 have the same URL's\IP's listed in their respective database.
    2)IE-Spyad applies the entries to the HKEY_Current_User key and protects only those users that have logged on and merged IE-Spyad in to the registry for their account.
    3)For those with Admin priviliges....IE-Spyad2 applies the entries to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE(global machine location)....where-by ALL users are protected.

"Side Effects
    When you install IE-SPYAD2 you should be aware of two side effects of using system-wide settings as opposed to user-specific settings for the Restricted sites list.

First, if you've added sites to the Trusted sites zone, the new Restricted sites may not show up in the Restricted sites box (Tools >> Options >> Security). This appears to be a quirk of Internet Explorer. What's happening is that Internet Explorer won't display sites loaded in the HKLM Registry hive (from IE-SPYAD2) if there are sites already loaded in the HKCU hive (from the Trusted sites zone).

Even though the Restricted sites may not display, however, Internet Explorer will still use the block list to restrict sites covered by the list.

Second, one other downside to using system-wide settings is that non-administrator users in Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP may not be able to see and edit the Restricted sites list in Internet Explorer.
    "

9. bigbuck

Thanks Bubba.
    So based on;
    What would you suggest?
    Thanks,
    Brad.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Always....without reservation....Obey your Wife :cool:

As far as IE-Spyad\IE-Spyad2 goes and given your situation....log into her account and use IE-Spyad....along with SpywareBlaster if your not already using that layer of protection for IE.

11. bigbuck

Ok....so spyad would only protect her?? not me (if I were ever to use IE)?
    Already got SWB installed....I assume it is still active when she is logged on..

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

IE-Spyad only protects the Current_User Hive of the registry....therefore....you have to log into your account and merge\install IE-Spyad into your account(Current_User).

SpywareBlaster(SB)....in a way....is similar. The 3 features of SB are Internet Explorer Protection((ActiveX and Cookie) and Restricted Sites Protection(like IE-Spyad but with far less entries).
    • ActiveX(clisd) protection....gets installed\merged to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE(global machine location)....where-by ALL users are protected.
    • Restricted Sites and Cookie protection....gets installed\merged to the HKEY_Current_User(user logged on)

So in order for each user to be protected with SB as far as the Restricted Sites and Cookie protection....each user has to log on and enable that protection in SB.

13. bigbuck

Firstly...Thanks very much Bubba, you are a fountain of knowledge.. as always.
    Secondly....Sorry for sounding like such a dumbass. But the merge/install bit...just means install it again? but on my account?
    BB.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Asking a question is not being a dumbass :)

Yes....install it again on your account. I used the words merge/install because there are some users that right click the ie-ads.reg file and merge that file into the registry....where as some users execute the install.bat file....which simply merges the ie-ads.reg file into the registry. It's simply a personal preference ability that Eric has chosen to use.

15. bigbuck

Thanks again.....You're a champ!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.