IE Shells

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by octogen, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octogen

octogen Registered Member

I read somewhere that if you have too many IE shells (eg. Avant, MyIE2, SlimBrowser, etc.) installed, it could cause problems on your computer. Is this true? Just asking strictly out of curosity.

2. Mullyman

Mullyman Registered Member

Damn i am surprised that jayk didn"t respond to this...according to him any IE shell is to much :D

3. JayK

JayK Poster

Yes, I noticed the question :)

I doubt you are going to get any answers here, because most security consicious people don't use any IE shells. at all. And if people do decide to use MSIE, they would stick to it, rather than using another unauthorised IE shell, that probably introduces even more bugs and risks not to mention decreases stability.

There are some exceptions of course, but there are always stubborn people everywhere.

4. Mullyman

Well i for one happen to be very security conscious :cool:..and i have over 20 years of computer experience...and in all that time i have never been breached..or compromised in any significant way, and all i use is IE or their shells,so does that make me stubborn...so be it..as the old saying goes"IF IT AIN"T BROKE,LEAVE IT THE F**K ALONE" :D...bottom line is when it comes to any thing you do with your PC, just use common sense...and don"t come back and say jayk,if your using IE you don"t have common sense, lets not make things personal,were only talking about damn software..your satisfied with what you use and i am quite happy with what i use. :)

5. JayK

JayK Poster

LOL, and you have being using IE and Ie shells all that time? That's an impossibility unless you have a time machine.

If so, just stick to IE. why borther using Ie shells?

So you don't change anything unless it gets "BROKE" , so I suppose you won't mind that by default windows leaves your netbios ports open, unless a hacker breaks in showing it's broke??

Given the number of people being infected by something as stupid as mydoom, I would say relying on "common sense" is not a good idea, if you are typical.

PS
    I have being using computers for more than 20 years too, so what?

6. Mullyman

Well jayk....i can see you are one of those that think you know everything...you think your opinion only matters and is right,so i wouldn"t waste anymore of my time trying to have an intelligent exchange with you,because one lacks it,and it is certainly not i :cool:,i know you like to have the last word,so go ahead...i can overlook ignorance :D..i have read a few of your post and you show alot of negativity in quite a few :'(...if you want your opinion to be respected then you should respect others as well...so from now on when you offer an opinion or make a statement i hope that the people you have insulted their intelligence say ,as to use your words "SO WHAT" ;)

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think we're a little off topic here gentlemen; so please do me a favor and keep any further posts on topic and be sure it stays civil ;)

*puppy*

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

REMOVED: Re:IE Shells

REMOVED - Off topic

9. octogen

Where I read it was from another forum and that's basically what the person said. Not taking at face value, I decided to get other opinions. Hope I didn't stir a hornet's nest here. Certainly didn't mean to.

BTW, my current default browser is Mozilla. I am looking at Mozilla FireFox, K-meleon and Opera as well. I only use IE when the occasional page is not rendered using those. I got IE locked down pretty tightly. My wife being smart enough to appreciate computer security is also on board with this. ;)

10. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi octogen!

I used both Opera and Mozilla Firefox 0.8 The one I like the best is Mozilla firefox because it is both quick and secure. I have also Internet Explorer for we need it for the updates and some specific functions. But in general, I use Mozilla Firefox. Here's the download address in case you might be interested:

http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

11. octogen

Thanks, Uguel707. I'll give FireFox a try! I hear it's like Mozilla, which I really like, without the bloat.

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

REMOVED - offensive instead of constructive.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.