IE prob

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dESIGNS, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dESIGNS

dESIGNS Registered Member

Help please. Not sure if this is the right place to post, please move it otherwise or point me in the right direction.

I'm all ready to reformat as i'm going out of my mind

first prob: i open pages on the net of sites i always visit and now i get half a page that cannot be displayed, a whole page that cannot be displayed or images/banners/items on a page that either cannot be displayed or has the red x's (even if i right click on the x to say show picture, it wont do it)

I believe something in my settings has changed or gone walkies. I did have some PC probs with the javabyteverify bug a few weeks ago. have since gotten rid of that but then this problem started.

My PC: I have IE 6.0 wit SP2, Win XP HE and WIN XP office, 512 meg, eTrust EZ firewall and antivirus, ADSL 128

i have done all usual troubleshhoting eg: run antivirus, adaware, disk clean up, disk defrag. closed firewall and pop up blockers, changed settings in iternet options to default and more...

thanks in advance

Ange

2. Spray-on Dust

Spray-on Dust Registered Member

Hey Designs.

I'm not an expert but I've encounted enough pc annoyances etc. to be able to recommend you some things that may help.

First, I would go here (found this site on these forums actually. It's great): http://www.security-ops.tk/

Run ALL of those online virus scanners. At the very least, run as many as you can before your patience runs out.

Also, try downloading a trial of Trojan Hunter or Ewido.

Next, I would suggest downloading Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta. This is a great product because it provides outstanding detection and prevention capabilites and most of all, it's free. (For about 6 months, anyway)

Next, Set your IE settings in the Security tab to High and download and use Mozilla Firefox. Some pages in IE will not load at all with the settings on High so you while you will be much much safer, you'll have to manually allow some sites and such from now on.

Finally, download CrapCleaner (CCleaner) from http://www.ccleaner.com/.

Hope that helps.

-Spray-on Dust

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Those are some good measures to take after any infection. After that, I would also run the Sytem File Checker.. pop your Windows CD in the drive, click Start > Run and type "sfc /scannow" (hit enter or click 'ok') This will copy a clean copy of any system files that have been changed and may repair any damage left over from cleaning out the infection. If you are using SP2 you may want to make a slipstreamed cd (making a new Windows CD with the SP2 files integrated), the easiest way to do this is to use something like AutoStreamer (http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html) that will walk you through it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.