IE is on the losing side.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nadirah, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Mozilla Browsers Gains on IE

Saturday July 10th, 2004

Anonymous writes in with a link to a story on PC World.com talking about how the recent IE security vulnerabilities have started to impact current browser marketshare. It goes on to state that Mozilla/Netscape browsers share of the market according to WebSideStory has gone up 26% in the last month, gaining almost an entire percentage point overall, with IE losing 1 percent of its share. It attributes this to people trying out Mozilla based browsers because of concerns for security, and points out, "Once people start examining the features of Mozilla versus Internet Explorer instead of looking at a brand name... I think they'll see there's a lot more value."

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i hope that wont mean ff will start to targeted more often. :doubt: and mozilla wont have the money to keep going :(

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Slashdot just had an article about this here:
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/13/1247203&tid=172&tid=154

At least the Mozilla team has a strategy for dealing with this stuff BEFORE it becomes a major issue, that's more than can be said for MS.

4. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Unlike Micro$oft, Mozilla patches things up quickly. Also unlike M$, one of the things they have in mind is security...

5. ROnin

ROnin Guest

Slightly less than 1% fall makes IE on the "losing side"? When it has still over 95% of the browsers? lol

6. nadirah

IE is already on the losing side, with its many security flaws and holes. One day, i think everybody would be switching from IE to other better browsers.
    Other browsers offer features which IE doesn't have. I wonder, what the heck is so nice about IE? IE is plain, and dull looking and its rather boring too.

From the following webpage, read below about IE: http://secunia.com/product/11/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2004
  7. zcv

zcv Registered Member

That's actually what I find appealing about IE :)

The rest of your comments are on target. MS in general and IE in particular need compitition. I remember last year sometime there were comments comming out of "Mt. Olympus" (Redmond) about no more work being done on IE beause of the comming wonder of the world: Longhorne.

Regards - Charles

8. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Longhorn?

Is that the OS-in-development with windows that cast shadows? The one that tries to put a semi-3D interface on a flat screen?

Is it just me, or is Longhorn going to make XP look like it was designed for Pentium 1 boxes? Do I smell the scent of software bloat?

9. nadirah

Thanks to LWM for editing my post to make it look neater and better. ;)

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

As much as I hope this would happen, I'm afraid I don't really see "everybody" switching from IE in the near future. I think for Mozilla/Opera and other alternative browsers to hold a 10%-15% share would be amazing for the next 2-3 years.

As long as MS continues to be bundled with windows, and as long as important sites like banks continue to insist on IE only, the average joe will never switch. IE is the safe option for the average joe, you turn on windows and it's already there, why waste time searching for alternatives? With IE, you can be sure it will run on all sites, all the fancy game sites that depend on dhtml, activex will work etc..

The average joe is not like you or me, who enjoy tweaking, playing with their computer, as nice as say Firefox or Opera is, you need to spend time downloading it, installing it (it's harder than it looks), tweak it a little to get plugins and even then you run into many sites like banks , governments sites that deny you access.

The average joe won't switch unless there is a very big push. Some might be scared off by just saying the word "hacker" (the less than 1% fall might be due to these people) , but I bet these are the very same people who will instantly switch back when MS promises better security with XP SP 2. It's just hype after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.