IE : Inevitable extinction ???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PROROOTECT, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Extinction ? Look at the figures,IE has almost 3/4 marketshare !
    Most computerusers are only interested in going online using the preinstalled IE. (and IE in his current incarnation is not that bad)
    Only a diminishing minority are interested in more alternatives,mostly folks that populate Wilders and the like,so MS have no worries i guess.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Keep in mind another factor, the commercial/industrial part of MS's market. I've read several places that the main reason Vista's essentially dead in the water (aside from its obvious flaws) and XP's useful life was extended, is that a great many of MS's largest corporate customers refused to touch Vista and insisted on hanging on to XP.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think MS normally wins when they compete with a software product one on one, if IE market share started to go really downhill (which it won't) they'll get it back.

as long as opera sticks around who cares what the numbers are?

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

If you remember back a couple of years MS had all but forgotten IE. There were reports that IE6 was going to be the last MS browser. Ironically it was the rising popularity of Firefox that saved IE. It changed MS's mind about abandoning IE so further development commenced.

I am using IE8 beta now and when they finally get the bugs out of it it will become a formidable browser.

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

As long as IE comes with Windows, it won't get extinct. I also HOPE it won't! As long as it remains the no1 used browser, malware writers will leave my beloved Opera alone. :D So, go IE, go!

7. colinp

colinp Registered Member

After several years in tech support, I found that having 2 or more of everything was a life saver, on more than 1 occasion.
    If a user had 2 browsers, 2 mail programs etc., then if one quit working then they always could try the other.
    I am quite happy that MS was so thoughtful to provide their own browser on everyones computer. Made my life alot easier.
    In windows. I have FF, IE7 and Seamonkey (for the family to have their own profiles). From what I have observed (albeit very limited), IE 7 works ok.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.