IE default page problem

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by tinomen, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinomen

tinomen Registered Member

ok so i got this dialer thing that keeps popping up the second i get on the net,so i get spybot s&d and also bhodemon and hijackthis. upon using hijackthis i notice a certain ~snip 213.159.117.134/index.php~snip something i had linked to a certain dialer that wont stop popping up. i had blocked this page with nortons and IE and yet everytime i opened up IE it went right back to this 213.159 page and when this page is loaded it downloads a file and changes your registry, and when this happened my nortons came up with a trojan/virus warning and i deleted the files(it downloaded 2 automatically) so i blocked these certain files and now when i load IE it still goes to that 213.159.117.134/index.php (aka cool web search as it titles itself) so i use hijack this to fix this and it says it changes but everytime i scan again its still there and my IE default page is the same(yes i tryed to change the default page through IE settings, it just doesnt do it something overwrites it), and i can find no leads to how to stop this WebDialer to pop up everytime i get on the net. so if anyone knows anything about this plz help here is the problem lines in my hijackthis

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = 213.159.117.134/index.php
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = 213.159.117.134/index.php
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = 213.159.117.134/index.phpoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = 213.159.117.134/index.php
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =213.159.117.134/index.php
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = 213.159.117.134/index.php

thankyou,
    ryan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2004
  2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I think you have been hit by a spyware called: CWS

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I'm not sure he's coming back.

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

CWS is very lethal.

5. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

He has not given permission for us to see his email address either.

Jimbob

6. Jumpe4

Jumpe4 Guest

I got something similar to CWS. To get here without reloading viruses I pressed furiously on 'esc'. My virus removal software has scanned 3 times today, Ad-aware is going for the second time now - with deep level options.
    If you don't see me anymore then I lost you or met my destiny. My plan is to search for the string hxxp: //213.159.117.134/index.php in the registry once the virusscan and the spyware scan is done. And second to delete änything that points to that string (or address). Wish me luck. The spyware scanning found this....
    Vendor:possible Browser Hijack attempt
    Category:Misc
    Object Type:File
    Size:77 Bytes
    Location:c:\windows\favorites\imported bookmarks\search\looksmart.url
    Last Activity:11.11.2004 22:00:00
    Risk LevelLow
    Comment:Item referrs to blacklisted
    Site:hxxp:// home.netscape.com/bookmark/4_73/looksmart.html
    Description:possible attempt to control\redirect the browser. This object
    referrs to a "blacklisted" site.

see you again soon

7. Jumpe4

Jumpe4 Guest

DO NOT FOLLOW THE LINK

I'm still struggling. But dont follow the links in the previous post. They WILL infect your computer too... sorry.

8. Jumpe4

Jumpe4 Guest

Solution found

There was a file \system\systime.exe that I removed after restarting my computer in "Safe Mode".
    After that I looked for the "213.159.117.134" string in registry positions (Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main) that appear for Current User,
    Local Machine and Users. Removed entries with them (and some other
    garbage that I gould identify - most likely from previous attacks).
    The an exit of the registry and reboot. Explorer appeared cleaner than it should. The homepage needed to be set by adding the Homepage in Internet Explorer properties. Right Click on the Explorer icon on the desktop.

System seems ok now.

Next take a jump to IE Internet settings and add this to the untrusted domains in the security tab.

9. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Jumpe4, and welcome to Wilders.

It sounds like you have it a bit more under control, but to ensure your computer is completely clean you may want to follow the steps listed here:
    General Cleaning Instructions. Then follow-up with posting a HijackThis log at one of the sites that do HijackThis log analysis.

Edit - A bit about the file systime.exe: Sophos - Troj/StartPa-CR It is a CoolWebSearch parasite variant.

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.