IE browsing, processes, ESS - web protection question

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by NBP Pipsquack Bird, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NBP Pipsquack Bird

NBP Pipsquack Bird Registered Member

Simple question first - - does ESS require running the process called sqlbrowser.exe? (Do all of you have sqlbrowser.exe running in your Task Manager?)

I just set my task manager to display Prcoess IDs (PID.) I open Internet Explorer and went to the basic home page. I then went to a command prompt window in Vista and ran the command netstat -ano.

It showed I was connected to the given website through port 80. OK fine. But it showed the associated procces was process ID 2216. In task manager process ID 2216 is sqlbrowser.exe.

I then went in and killed off and disabled all sql browser processes and services (I still don't know why they want to run everytime I boot up.) Then once all the sql browser crap was disabled, I restarted Internet Explorer, Task Manger, and opened a command prompt window. Again I ran the command netstat -ano. It showed me connected to the website through port 80. But now it shows me connected through the proccess ekm.exe - an ESS process! Isn't this what I wanted in the first place?

If sqlbrowser.exe is not needed for ESS, then all this time I was conencting to websites through sql browser. If that is the case was I possibly unprotected by the ESS proxy procedure for web protection? Now that I killed off sql browser and my web pages are connecting through ekm.exe, is this the desired situation?

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

never see sql browser in ess services

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.