IE 8 64 bit?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Most people who know me on Wilders know that I am not the greatest fan of Idiot Exploiter Internet Explorer. However, I have been test driving the 64 bit version (Win 7) & I am quite impressed with its overall speed in rendering pages. It is blindingly fast in Yahoo! Mail & others. I have been playing about with IE's accelerators & they aren't as useless as I first thought. The Collins Dictionary & Wikipedia have come in useful anyway. Simple Adblock works well in 64 bit but ieSpell just won't work at all, neither does the toolbar Bluetooth icon (Belkin USB adaptor). Unfortunately neither does flash yet apparently, nor QuickTime plug-ins inter alia (as I am sure most already know). I can see the potential in this once everything works properly though. Does anyone have any thoughts about IE8 64 bit?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

ieSpell works for me and I've been on many websires where IE8 has alerted me that a web site wanted to in stall a Quicktime plug in , however I've never allowed it as the functionality of the site was fine without it. I'm running the 64 bit version.

3. Daveski17

I probably installed ieSpell on the 32 bit version. It works on that. Should I have downloaded it IN the 64 bit browser do you reckon?

4. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Bit off-topic, does ieSpell work in IE9?

5. Daveski17

I don't know about IE9 Funkydude, but I get this pop-up when I try to use ieSpell in 64 bit mode:

"Exception Raised! Automation Server Can't Create Object"

6. Daveski17

I have since discovered that I am not the only person who has had problems with ieSpell on 64 bit. I can't find it in the extension manager either. I have even tried a fresh install. Even though it wasn't old anyway. 'The Hammer' must know something I don't...

Straight from the horse's mouth ....

IeSpell is only 32 bit compatible. If you need the spell checker, then you have to use the 32 bit IE.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010
    Imperial Beach, CA

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.:oops: Since I'm running the 64 bit OS I assumed I was running the 64 bit IE8. But when I check About Internet Explorer in the Help menu I don't see the 64 bit descriptor label that apparently should be there.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

9. guest

guest Guest

Both 32-bit and 64-bit builds of IE8 are included in the 64-bit Windows 7.

For compatibility purposes, only the 32-bit IE8 can be made default browser.

10. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Here we will not use IE8 64Bits because Norton Toolbar and IPS which only works on 32bit. :thumbd:

11. Daveski17

LOL now you tell me! I uninstalled & re-installed ieSpell a couple of times just to find out if I had done something wrong in the first place. o_O

I think the 64 bit IE 8 is quite sprightly, I just wish it would work with stuff more.

Oh well, it's the future I suppose. We can look forward to it. :cool:

12. Daveski17

I think some security apps have a problem with 64 bit, which is why I use MSE. I haven't tried SpywareBlaster or SAS on the desktop yet, although I still use them on the laptop. SAS is probably fine though, I've always liked it & I have used it for at least 2 years now.

13. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Unfortunately it is true, even though Norton intends to add full support for IE8 64Bit soon. :thumb:

14. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Windows browsers benchmarked: October 2010 edition

15. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Yup, I can only hope it's a bug in the beta, since as noted, it doesn't affect IE8.

16. Daveski17

Weird. Mind you, I said it was sprightly, not faster than Chrome. On my desktop, Iron seems to be the fastest to load, then Chrome. IE 8 64 bit is close behind them & is far better in Yahoo Mail than Chrome. All of them are faster than Firefox. Of course, it could just all be in my imagination ... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.