IE 7 vs. Firefox.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fly, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I use IE 7.

I don't want to start a whole debate whether IE 7 or Firefox is better.

From what I understand, people consider Firefox safer because fewer people use it and because of the NoScript plugin, and the existance of a plugin that blocks web bugs.

Still, many people use it, many critical flaws are being discovered on a regular basis, and the bigger the market share, the greater vulnerability for malware infection.

But IE 7 has the ability to block scripts (I don't know to what extent), and it's also possible to set security settings for the zones to maximum, which should prevent any scripts being run.

In particular with regard to the previous paragraph, in what way would Firefox be better ? If at all ... Some security software is designed to work with IE 7. I've tried IE 7 with maximum security settings, but it's really no way to access the internet.

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Nothing wrong with IE7 (in Vista atleast) seems safe enough nowdays. If you run as LUA (or UAC) you dont have to worry about the scripts anyway.
    The reason for me to use Firefox has nothing to do with safety, its about the ability to customize my browsing experience..

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

NoScript plugin allows/blocks scripts per a webpage by 2 clicks. In IE, you have to go to tools - internet zone - search allow active scripting and then allow it and it allows scripts for all webpages on a webpage, FF with NoScript allows it only for one webpage, third party webpages on that webpage have scripts still blocked. Putting a webpage to trusted sites does not allow active scripting and for some "mysterious" reason, trusted zone settings have almost no effect in IE7. As for security, FF has much more security vulnerabilities than IE7 in Vista, it is about 1 to 5, IE7 in XP does not count, because it still uses IE6 libraries, but FF is not such a target, it uses no activeX and so on, so in a way, it is safer and it has sooo many addons. I recommend FF to all my friends, though I use IE7 only. ;)

P.S.: I use IE7 with blocked scripts/cookies, though it is hard, but not due security, but because of faster browsing with almost no ADs and no popups. :)

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I don't find IE7 as quick or easy as FF or Opera.
    And I like the ability to customize FF to my hearts content.
    As for safety, take a look at IE7 Pro. And Sandboxie.
    Hugger

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Ok, thank you.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Hi. IE 7 Pro ? Sounds interesting.

I took a look at it, then read 'Google sponsored search added'

Is that by default ? Opt-in, opt-out, or can't you get rid of it ? Any way to make sure that nothing extra (compared to the regular IE 7) goes to google ?
    I also read: 'inline search'.
    I don't like my surfing to be recorded ...

Probably no blocking of web bugs ? I couldn't find anything like that in the description.

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I'm not sure what Google sponsored search is, but I just set my search engine to ASK.
    Inline search is optional. Just go through the settings.
    I don't use IE enough to get into it too much.
    Prefer FF and Opera both with Sandboxie.
    I wish Sandboxie had a better user interface but I'm learning.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Ask as in ask.com toolbar ?

Anyone else who has something to add ?

9. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

If I remember right at install IE7 pro asks you to use the Google based default search engine to help support their
    product, you can opt out, and after install you can also
    change that setting in IE7Pro preferences under the
    others tab.

You can set whatever you like for your search engine in IE7Pro, Google, Yahoo, Live Search, AOL Search, Baidu,
    plus you can add whatever other search engine you like
    including Ask, and yup you can add their toolbar.

I like this program makes a nice add on to IE7, has ad blocking, flash blocking, and a nice privacy tab which you
    can use it to clear whatever you like when you close IE.

I use Firefox mostly for web browsing, I like all of the customization options, and add ons, but few websites
    I do go to using IE I use trusted / restricted websites
    which tries my patience at times as for some websites
    it is just flat out difficult to set up.

Regards,

Wake

10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I'm happy to use FF with no software firewall, no AV, no AS. Not sure I would be quite so happy to do the same with IE.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I had such a config with IE7 and Vista for a year (2007) and I was clean, so far I use only Windows Firewall, since it takes almost no resources and I am satisfied. By the way, based on sukarof post, I recently started to use IE7Pro with active scripting and cookies on, ADs and flash blocked by default and I will see, if I get infected, but I will feel much more better as soon as I get my new PC with Vista x64 with hardware DEP enabled, so I could use internet banking without worries.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Perhaps it would be cheaper if you install antivirus :D (instead of buying new x64 PC and OS)

With it you can also e-bank without worries :argh: :thumb: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.