IE 6 CRASH

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by seadog, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seadog

seadog Registered Member

Suddenly a few web sites that I visit on a regular basis fail to open & crash Internet Explorer 6. I am back at the desktop & all else works fine. Other websites no problem. No warning message, nothing in Event Viewer. I tried a System Restore back to the last time the sites at issue would open but no joy. These sites open ok on another pc. I have checked my antivirus (nod32) antispyware ( SAS ) & comodo firewall by disabling them 1 at a time & trying to open the websites at issue...no joy. I have now installed IE 7 & same issue persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I am not sure but there may be conflict with the add-ons associated with the website and other software on your pc . Have you tried opening those sites using alternative browser such as Firefox or opera?

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, please do this:p

4. seadog

seadog Registered Member

I don't have either of those browsers installed at this time. Maybe I'll try FF & see if that works ok. The odd thing is I can't think of anything that's changed in the last few weeks that might be the cause. Thanks for the reply.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah i've had similar problems in the past, i could never figure them out. My only solution was to switch to another browser or restore a hdd image.

6. seadog

seadog Registered Member

Tried firefox ....same thing happend. Tried IE7 without add ons & the website would open but where there is supposed to be a menu on the page to choose from to navigate around the site there is only a red X. So I can't navigate the website. I know I've seen that before but I can't remember what settings cause that or how to correct it. Any help would be appreciated.

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Mighty suspicious doc...
    Not just one, but many sites? Did you try with Opera? Or disabling like Java, javascript etc. (i'm guessing here... but try to isolate the problem).

8. seadog

seadog Registered Member

Hello Someone.....Haven't tried opera yet. Still trying to pinpoint the problem with IE. Went back to IE 6(didn't much like IE 7). So far only 4 sites that are shutting down the browser. Unfortunately 3 of them are sites my wife uses daily. I could understand if the page wouldn't open or if there were an error message but to just close the browser completely is something I have not seen before. The last time those sites would open for me was about the same time I installed a new firewall. I have tried shutting down the firewall but that didn't solve the issue either. I have the internet settings set to default so I don't no what else to do. I will try your suggestions re java. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

9. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Try this,open IE6-tools-internet options-advanced tab-uncheck enable third party browser extentions.You may need to reboot and then see if that helps your problem.

10. seadog

seadog Registered Member

Hello pugmug...tried it ...still no joy but thanks for the suggestion.

11. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

12. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Try to go to those website by this way, Type the address starting with http://www.------.com
    Go to calculator and click 1)help topics
    2)click on the yellow question mark shown above
    and above window should pop up and type the address as it is in the box "jump to url".
    The image is not elegant but this is best i can do.
    iecrash.JPG

13. seadog

seadog Registered Member

Pugmug...looked at the link but it seems to be a slightly different issue. I get no error message.

ashishtx....Tried typing url as suggested,same result.

Tried with calculator, got "this page cannot be displayed" etc.

The fact that I get the same problem with IE6 & IE7 & Fire fox should point me in some direction but I can't figure out where. Thanks again.

14. seadog

seadog Registered Member

Problem solved.....my java program was apperently corrupted. Uninstalled & reinstalled clean copy from Java site & all is well. Thanks for your assistance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.