Idle-state scanning questions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by tomazyk, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I have two question regarding idle-state scanning:

1. how frequently does this scanning take place if enabled? I guess scan is not conducted each time screen saver starts or computer gets locked. So how often does it happen?
    2. are exclusions scanned during idle-state scanning or are they excluded? Nod32 help files description: "When the computer is in idle state, then a silent computer scan is performed on all local drives."

Thank you for answers.

2. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

OK, since there was no answer I decided to test it myself. Here are the answers to my questions (they might help somebody wit similar questions):

1. Idle-state scan is conducted after each reboot or turn off/turn on procedure, when idle state is detected. If computer is not turned off idle-state scanning is not conducted multiple times.

I still don't know if scanning would run only once, if computer would be turned on 24/7. Any info about this would be appreciated.

2. Idle-state scanning does not scan excluded items, same as all other scans.

3. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks for all your effort! Really appreciated it.
    For me, I'm going to disable it including the startup scan also as they're not that crucial.

Thanks.

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello encus

Personally I would not disabling the startup scan, as it ensure that any running malware will be detected and removed when the computer starts or after an update. of the virusdatabase. . And besides it will only use a small amount of your resources, for a very short time.
    Regarding the Idle-state scan , that I think is a great feature for some, is less crucial to disabling.

Cheers, Janus

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  5. encus

encus Registered Member

Hi Janus.

AFAIK, ESS will catch any malware loaded at startup, even if startup scan was disabled.

Thanks.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It depends on the malware but definitely it's not wise to disable startup scans.

7. encus

encus Registered Member

You mean not all malware?

Thanks.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Real-time protection doesn't perform memory scans which may discover new malware with higher probability. Memory scans are carried out during startup scans or on-demand scans that you trigger manually.

9. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks for your answer, Marcos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.