Identity Safe?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tomdy2k, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

Is online banking as safe with Norton as some others that use a sandboxed browser?*puppy*

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It should be

3. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

Thank you!:)

4. vojta

vojta Registered Member

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I can't comment on Norton's design, but it's worth making the distinction that a sandboxed browser is the opposite of an identity protection application. The former protects your system from the browser (any infections/exploits/etc.) whereas the latter protects your browser from the system (any infection which are currently active and injecting themselves into your browser).

The key point to make here is that identity protection applications/components serve their primary purpose when your system is infected and the main antimalware didn't detect the infection. A sandboxed browser, or one with similar protection running on it, is useful in all circumstances, and the ideal scenario is when you have both: a browser which is running sandboxed and is at the same time protected by identity protection modules.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Could somebody be so kind as to explain what the difference is between these safe banking modules that many security suites offer to a free program like sandboxie.
    Is the principle not the same throughout?

Ive taken a look at some of these safe banking modules myself and it seems all they do is isolate the browser so why cant i just use sandboxie which achieves the same without all the melodrama that these security companies generate.

7. itman

itman Registered Member

Sandboxing is designed to prevent your PC from getting infected by malware downloads.

Safe banking software like Trusteer, etc. are designed to protect your data entry, screen displays, etc. while online from things like keyloggers, man-in-the-middle attacks, and the like.

Best way I can explain it.

BTW - if your OS is x64, NIS does not protect against code injection, keyloggers, COM badies, etc. So I really can't say its identity protection is bullet proof by any means.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  8. The Red Moon

Thank you itman for that explanation.
    Ive tried trusteer and it was a bloated resource eating monstrosity and was quickly uninstalled.
    Once again thanks.:thumb:

9. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Exactly the way I felt when I tried it.

10. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Isn't that like using two condoms. It can cause more trouble than help....

Yup it was gone in 60 seconds!

11. vojta

vojta Registered Member

The post right before yours:

12. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Sorry, double post.

13. cmexx

cmexx Registered Member

As for me, I use updated browser and plug-ins and never use online banking under Administator account

14. The Red Moon

Thank you for pointing this out ,i missed this.But the explanation given kindly by PREVX does not give a clear distinction.
    What is described in that post can be achieved by sandboxie.
    1.sandboxie isolates the browser from the rest of the system.
    2.sandboxie can also prevent any malware on the system from penetrating the browser.

So in that context there is no difference between sandboxie and these protection modules offered by security companies and im starting to sense that this is all a gimmick by the leading security companies to somehow feel that they have something unique to offer secure online banking,But as i have just explained quite clearly the same protection can be achieved when using free products like sandboxie.

15. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

No, it can't. Malware that is already running on the system can modify the browser running in SBIE as SBIE is designed to keep the system clean instead of preventing malware on the system from doing stuff.

16. The Red Moon

What an excellent reply and thank you.Now i would like to see some factual evidence of your claim put before me and i will gladly change my viewpoint if clear evidence of your statement is brought forward but until then i will consider it just an opinion of yours and not really relevant to the original enquiry.

Now assuming the computer system is 100% malware free then we still have the problem of a clear distinction between sandboxie and "gimmicky" safe banking software.
    If you feel capable of explaining the definitive difference then please feel free to do so.
    Thank you.

17. 3x0gR13N

18. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Why not?

19. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I thought that sandboxes do exactly the opposite. They treat the browser as an untrusted garbage can that must not contaminate the rest of the system.

But you are the one giving lessons here.

20. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Not "we", just you. You are the one that don't know what's the deal here. Read the link that 3x0gR13N posted.

21. The Red Moon

Im not convinced and as usual the thread has convoluted into nothing more than hear say and personal snide comments.
    If anybody had read my posts and that given my others there is clearly no distinction given between isolated banking browsers and sandboxie.
    They are surmounting to the same thing which is isolation and containment.
    You can give the generic terminology whatever name you wish but the underlying principal is the same as ive stated earlier in this post.

22. 3x0gR13N

Then that's your personal problem of (not) understanding the basic concept that has been explained several times, including in the provided link to the sandboxie forums.

Banking:
    Sandboxie:

23. The Red Moon

I do not have a personal problem thank you but unfortunately you seem to have one with your attitude.
    Anyway The above still suggests isolation and containment.
    Try again and hopefully a clear distinction will be made this time between gimmick safe banking and sandboxie.
    Also if you believe that these safe banking modules will protect you then think again as there is nothing in life guaranteed.
    If an account is created in a far off land under your name and a loan of $$$$$ is also created which probably would not have happened if these so-called safe banking gimmicks had protected you properly then who do you blame.?
    And are the security companies going to re-imburse your loss??
    Not a chance.!

24. 3x0gR13N

But in different directions...

SBIE and banking software are to be used in conjunction (but not at the same time) because they offer different types of isolation, like explained in the above quotes.

25. The Red Moon

I know your trying very hard to put some form of clarification into the 2 apparently different technolgies(How they are different is yet to be asertained).
    These safe banking products come with no form of insurance or guarantees and it seems like the security vendors just spew them out to bolster their own products and give the end user a somewhat (in my opinion) false sense of security.
    Again i find these things just marketing gimmicks to make their own products look the rosier of the lot.They use terms like "safe" and "protection" and these comforting words look nice on a security package but unfortunately not one of them backs it up with any sort of guarantee or insurance because they lack the confidence in their own products to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.