IDE to SATA migration

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bob Greene, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Greene

Bob Greene Registered Member

Old system has XP SP2, IDE 40 Gig and 110 Gig; C and D drives, no additional partitions. Many applications installed, some in c:\Program Files and some in d:\ program files. no additional partitions.

New system will have fresh XP install and 320 G SATA. Motherboard supports IDE and SATA. Building it up as a bare bones...... purchased new XP with system.

Will true image allow me to connect the IDE drive(s) from the old system and migrate it to the new system, preserving application settings, registry values, etc.? How does Acronis resolve settings in the registry (new system registry will be dramatically different from old, but applications will be the same). I hate the thought of re-installing all the apps that are on the old system. I understand activation or re-activation will be required.

Should I create a partition on the new drive (as D) and connect both drives to the ide port before starting?

Is there a step-by-step process to accomplish this?

I have not purchased Acronis 10 yet.

Thanks for your help!

2. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

I think you are asking TI to do this conversion for you. TI is basically a backup and restore package.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bob Greene,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that Acronis solution that for transferring of the system to a different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image and in your case we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation.

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your computer.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. Bob Greene

Bob Greene Registered Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I will pursue your suggested course of action.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.